We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

Did not stay in downtown on this trip but over at the Radisson Hotel Toronto East , 55 Hallcrown Place. It worked out great, did some shopping where you could park your car for free near the stores. Believe the area is called "the Golden Mile". I know there was a shopping mall called that and right near by was a Gap outlet store and Winners. Lots of great buys but odd sizes on the clothes. Still was able to find some great buys and no need to carry the bags on the TTC, just walk out of the store and in the car trunk it went.

In the evenings I went downtown, took 25-30 mins taking the 401 west to Younge st. Traffic heading east was jam pack, even at 7pm. Sure glad I did not get a room near the airport, going downtown would had took so long-unless going south first would had work OK ?

I thought Toronto drivers were great. They sure know how to push through traffic and get someplace else. Maybe the no cell phone law helps ? I was lucky always heading the opposite way the heaviest traffic was going but it still was pretty busy but traffic moved, least some lanes did. Didn't have to switch lanes often but you had to at times or you be stuck. Respect those turn signals. Some of those drivers were moving over no matter what once they hit their turn signal. No wounder drivers are used to braking to let other drivers in. What are you going to do, get hit ? Then you gotta wait forever for the cops to show up and hope you don't get blamed at all and still you gotta get your car fixed. Forget that, you brake to let the rude driver in, lol.

I liked driving there, better then rush hour around me were folks are too polite or timid. You don't need a big opening, just hit the gas and turn, thats how traffic moves when cars and buses are everywhere. The bus drivers sure could handle those buses well.

The freeways-the 401-wasn't as cool, traffic went 80-90, sometimes 110 but it was faster then the side roads.

Once downtown I was able to park for $6, something like $2 every half hour but after 7 or 8 pm its cap at $6 until 6 am. Was amassed how well those automatic parking gates worked. What happens if they break down late at night or do they not breakdown. Took just a min to pay if no cars were lined up.

The horses were running this afternoon at Woodbine, took in a few races and then headed home.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

smokin'

...as always, insightful & entertaining! Come back soon!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,790 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

ss ~

I notice your TRs that pop up from time to time and enjoy them. I think they add a real positive feature on the forums. You provide information that is of help to future visitors. This one has good detail about a part of Toronto that some visitors would appreciate knowing about.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,163 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

Agreed Mufti.....adding a little bit of info about the Golden Mile really gives insight to an area of Toronto rarely brought on here....

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

"The Golden Mile" is the strech of Eglinton Avenue East, east of Victoria Park. It was one of Canada's industrial parks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile,_Toronto

5. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 00:58
6. Re: Awesome 2 days in Toronto Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 05:21