We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

My children and I are planning on visiting Toronto for a week in August of next year and I am trying to get an idea of some things to do on our trip. My children will be 16 and 13 by that time (boy and girl) so finding something that appeals to teens is a must.

My son wants to visit the CN Tower but I am terrified of heights and my daughter is terrified of elevators so that probably won't be on our "to do" list. We will be coming from Texas (with temperatures likely in the 100's at that time) so we are hoping the weather will be much more accommodating to outdoor activities then we are used to at that time of year.

We enjoy staying at Homewood Suites facilities as they allow everyone to have their own bed and the free breakfast is always nice. I am open to renting a car if necessary, but the less driving we have to do the better.

None of us have ever been to Canada before, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Depending on when you will be in Toronto, the Canadian National Exhibition will be on, similar to a state fair, but more national in scope....the Ripley's Aquarium of Canada.....Rogers Centre for a Blue Jays game....Canada's Wonderland if you like roller coasters.....the beaches.....many different types of museums....

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,277 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Hi Lisa;

Just a reminder…when flying to Canada, citizens of the United States MUST have passports.

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Dundas, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Don't forget Niagara Falls. It is only a little over an hours drive from TO and well worth the visit. They have a lot of attractions there for the kids and I believe if you google, you will find pay one price for 4 or 5 attractions. It's even worth spending an extra night there.

The CN tower is right downtown. Lots of things to do in that area. Your son could go up while you wait. He really should see the view from there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

I think the CN Tower is a must-do as well.

Maybe your son could go up the tower while you go to the Aquarium with your daughter?

I think the zoo would also be good for kids that age, but they'll probably be most interested in Canada's Wonderland.

Renting bikes to go to the Island, or out to the Beaches would also be a great activity on a nice day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

August is also a good month for festivals in Toronto.

Here is a summary of what was going on this year:

…ctvnews.ca/a-guide-to-toronto-summer-festiv…

Taste of the Danforth and Buskerfest happen every year on those same weekends, but you will have to check next year to see what's going to be on while you're here.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,626 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Hi Lisa................I also answered your other post on the Ontario forum yesterday.......try a day with the kids at the Distillery District and rent a couple of Segways.......if you haven't already tried one, they're a lot of fun, and sure to be a hit with your teens.............

http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com

Edited: 29 October 2013, 16:28
Toronto
Level Contributor
421 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

To enjoy a true Toronto experience you should look to stay in a downtown hotel. All of he Homewood Suites in the Toronto area are far from downtown. There is not a Hilton Garden Inn that is centrally located.

I would recommend:

the zoo (accessible by public transit but car recommended;

Ripley's Aquarium;

Royal Ontario Museum;

Blue Jays game;

taking ferry out to Toronto Island, renting bikes;

If you're visiting in second half of August the Canadian National Exhibition;

Niagara Falls;

Your kids should love Canada's Wonderland but it is a theme park and nothing unique about it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

Good suggestions from everyone above so we don't have a lot to add.

The Toronto Islands are a personal favourite- something very unique and not to be missed. Don't miss the hamlet of "cottages" at Ward's Island.

TorontoKimmer mentioned a visit to The Beach, which is a great neighbourhood on the east side. Half the fun can be in getting there on the streetcar from downtown. There's a great boardwalk along the beach itself, and Queen Street East is a lively commercial street a block inland from the lake.

Chinatown and Kensington Market are downtown neighbourhoods adjacent to one and other that are also must-sees.

9. Re: Family trip to Toronto in August 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18