We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Temple Terrace...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

My husband and I will be in Toronto in March for a conference, and have been given the choice of these hotels:

*Intercontinental Toronto Centre (the most expensive, so I'd like to know if you think it's worth it)

*The Fairmont Royal York (I love historic buildings, but is the Union Station construction a nightmare?)

*Radisson Admiral Hotel Toronto Harbourfront

*Renaissance Toronto Downtown Hotel

*The Westin Harbour Castle

*Strathcona Hotel

It's important to be close to the Convention Centre and the subway. I'm leaning towards the Intercontinental or the Royal York, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on any of the hotels.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,582 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

Both hotels you're leaning towards are good choices......with The Intercontinental, you couldn't get any closer to the Convention Centre.....they're attached ........the Fairmont Royal York is just a short walk away, less than 10 minutes and also on Front Street............the subway is closer to the Royal York........

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

I would select Royal York just because of the historical nature. The Union Station Construction is not that bad, I don't think you will be too much bothered by it.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

The construction effectively affects all of those, it's pretty nasty stuff. Intercontinental and Fairmont would be my choices.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

The Royal York has more character IMO...

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

I suggest checking the Cambridge Suites Hotel. It is a top choice!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,045 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

From the choices you listed.. the hotels I would consider are the Intercontinental Toronto Centre orThe Fairmont Royal York. And narrowing it down even further - although from a historical point the Royal York would come out ahead, the reviews of the Intercontinental are a little better so I would probably go with that one.

Good luck.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 21:38
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
425 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

Intercontinental Toronto Centre and The Fairmont Royal York are both good choices.

Both are accessible to the Subway and Convention Centre without going outside (I believe).

I think you'll find the Intercontinental to be a bit more modern, whereas the Royal York has more character.

Temple Terrace...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

I apologize for taking so long to get back to this thread! I do appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

Does anyone know if you can get to the PATH from either the Intercontinental or the Royal York, without going outside?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,207 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

Yes you can ... although access to PATH from the Intercontinental requires a trek through the Sky Walk to Union Station, and then north.

Here is a link to the PATH Map

torontopath.com/uploads/PATH%20Map%202013.pdf

In most cases it's actually easier and more direct to walk outside ... March weather is not that bad.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can you give me your opinions of these downtown hotels?

Royal York for sure. The construction isn't going to affect your stay there. It's connected to PATH already and it's beautiful. Do it.