We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Hello my fellow travellers :)

My partner and I (both Australian) are planning to work/live in Canada for a couple of years, yet the USA is also on the cards. We will be applying for a Canadian work visa yet was wondering what Visa should we apply for when it comes to the USA? We are planning to fly into New York, but only staying there for a few days before we cross the boarder by train into Montreal. After working for half a year or so, we plan to make our way down to California and visit family there for a couple of months. I was initially thinking we could get a visa waver, yet I’m told this will only last 90days? Visas are confusing. Any help would be appreciated  Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,278 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Hi momoshell ~

As you are flying into New York, you will need an American ESTA. This allows you to get on the plane in MEL but does not guarantee entry into the US. That decision is up to the individual American Customs Officer you talk to when you arrive in NYC.

For Canada, you will only need your passport.

From Canada, if you cross the border by land, the process is a bit different than if you fly down, in which case you would use your ESTA again.

Here is a US government website that will inform you about the different processes. On that page you will see a link in the second line to the US Department of State. Open that too and read on:

www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/visit-us

There will be Toronto posters later (1:00 am right now) who can give you much more explicit information than I can.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

You may want to ask your question on a US forum as it seems the US visa will be the one giving you trouble....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

TD, sadly most Americans have very little familiarity with the immigration rules for visitors to their country, so you'd need to luck into a forum with other Europeans who've done something similar.

Momoshell, your question is very similar to one I answered a little while back -- try reading tripadvisor.ca/…54594771 and then let us know if you have any further questions.

The rules are the same whether you enter by air or land (Visa Waiver Program in both cases); it's just the paperwork is different (paperless using ESTA by air, paper I-94W at the land borders).

Mississauga, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

i have 5 years deport ion fro isa since 1997 howe i can enter isa I'm canadian

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,101 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, wasfi;

Proper forum netiquette would be to post your own question in a new thread, rather than change the topic of an existing thread, so as not to confuse the replies to the original poster.

Please go back to the main page where you found this topic and click on the orange "Ask a Question" button. You can then post your own question and receive replies to it.

Best Regards

Masterton
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Hi there

We came out from NZ this year and faced the same problem. From what we have been told the electronic visa will not work if you want to trip in & out of the states while working in canada. We applied for a 10yr multiple entry visa for the USA based on advice we got. Hope this helps

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

Yep, that would be the safest approach. A multiple-entry B-2 visitor visa for the US gives you the most flexibility, but it's more hassle and cost to obtain.

8. Re: Visa For USA then Canada then USA later in the year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18