We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

I have a nine hour layover at Toronto airport, inbetween flights from Cuba to London. Any suggestions as to what I can do during this time? Is it enough time to leave the airport and see something of Toronto, bearing in mind I will have luggage with me? If not enough time, is there anything I can do at the airport - anywhere I can go to relax and rest perhaps?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
570 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

Depending on what time you arrive and the weather (uncontrollable) it should be plenty of time to go somewhere...according to Pearson airport's website you can leave luggage at The Travel Store, departure level of both terminals for a fee. Otherwise you could book a room at one of the hotels ... the closest of course is Sheraton at terminal 3 and there's a new hotel located at the Viscount Value Parking garage but I can't remember the name and could not find it quickly online.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

What day of the week will you be here? What time do you show up and depart Toronto??

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

Thank you - that is helpful. I'll be there in April so hopefully the weather won't be too bad!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

I arrive at just before midday, and leave just before 9pm. In April - I'm planning ahead! I will probably be pretty tired as will have got up very early in Cuba to catch the 08:25 flight!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

The ALT Hotel Toronto Pearson is the one that travelfun001 couldn't remember -- it's at the end of the LINK train line by the parking garage.

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

If you are not too tired, you could go to the city spend a couple of hours in the downtown area, have lunch and get back to the airport.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,157 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

You have enough time to visit Toronto if you want to..........

Leave your bags at Pearson at The Travel Store as suggested in post #1, and take a cab downtown to the CN Tower, where you can have lunch at the 360 restaurant atop the Tower....when you have a meal at the 360, admission to the Tower is free...you can both see the city views and have a nice meal.....then visit the Ripleys Aquarium close by, or the Hockey Hall of Fame, or visit the St. Lawrence Market, Toronto's award winning food market, all of which are within walking distance of the CN Tower....or if it's nice enough, sit at an outdoor café and watch Toronto......you could also just have your lunch at The St. Lawrence Market instead, picking and choosing from an infinite variety of just about everything....we often recommend trying a Peameal Bacon on a Bun sandwich at the Market for a quick, filling snack.....the cab option is the most expensive way to get downtown, but it's the quickest.....you can also take the TTC, Toronto's public transit system..........

There are also nice(paid) lounges at Pearson where you can relax in comfort, if you decide not to leave the Airport...Plaza Premium Lounges have 5 locations at Pearson and offer peace and quiet, comfortable seating, some have shower facilities, free laptops, large screen TV's , food and drink.....

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,157 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

Some helpful websites/links regarding the above suggestions are:

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com

http://www.cntower.ca

http://www.ripleyaquariums.com/canada

www.flightcentre.ca/flights/airport-lounges

The last link to Flight Centre is included because they usually have a discount coupon for the Plaza Premium Lounge

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,116 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

Hi Ali S.

If you decide to stay at the airport and relax I would recommend the Alt Hotel. It's pretty much the best hotel in that area and you would be very comfortable there.

On the other hand if you feel like doing something in Toronto one other idea is you could take a tour of the city. )like the hop on hop off tour for example.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
576 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nine hour layover at Toronto airport

If you are willing to drive in Canada, you could rent a car and go check out Niagara falls. About an hour away on divided highways. Depending on day of visit, traffic could be slow, but should still allow for lots of time.