We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

If this has been posted before - apologies.

I am looking at flying to Toronto, then to make my own way to New york.

Car, Boat, Train, Bike what ever - except Fly.

Has anyone done this? Im after adventure and i have my DSLR which is my main reason for doing this.

Trusted hostels, forums where trips like this maybe organised, Transport sites that offer cheap transportation.

I want to be able to immerse myself, but know if i have to do it completely on my own, im safe etc.

Much appreciated.

If you want to throw in a curve ball and make suggestions on anything that i could consider PLEASE DO!! i thank you in advance.

Mark :)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

I assume that you mean New York City? Not sure what kind of adventure that you are seeking but it's not exactly wilderness country between Toronto and NYC. You ask if anyone has done it. Well, yes, thousands do it every year, it's a well travelled route by car, plane, bus etc.

Perhaps tell us what you mean by adventure. I don't know what a DSLR is.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 16:46
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

Your question is a little over-broad. You're talking about two major cities not that far apart. You could get from one to the other overland pretty much however you want: by train (Amtrak), bus (Greyhound or Megabus), rideshare (Craigslist or RideJoy), or driving yourself in whatever vehicle you can aquire ( http://goo.gl/maps/IYadf ). Though I doubt you'd be able to rent a car in Toronto and return it in New York. There's no passenger boat service between Toronto and New York, but if you had access to your own boat you might be able to chart a course through the Oswego and Erie Canals to the Hudson River? I don't know much about boating.

Edit (simultaneous post) - Senior65, I think DSLR = digital single lense reflex, basically the modern iteration of a good-quality camera. And yes I too was assuming the OP means New York City.

There's a separate Road Trips Forum for questions about the drive.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 16:49
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

I'd drive first or take the bus second. The train is horrible because you spend hours at the border waiting for everyone on the train to clear customs. Personally, I'd take the bus to Buffalo, NY airport and then get a cheap flight, but you sound like you'd rather the 8-10 hour road journey.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,587 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

With regard to the hostels portion of your question, the following website might interest you...I've listed both the Canadian and U.S./Worldwide sites............

http://www.hihostels.ca

http://www.hihostels.com

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,619 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

You might also try a Lonely Planet forum:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

Hi SuperRy7D;

For the most freedom to stop wherever you want along the way (500 miles / 800 km) you will need to rent a car and drive yourself.

Avis, Budget & Hertz (alpha. listed) all allow one-way, cross border rentals.

Best Regards

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

Thank you All for your comments – really appreciated.

Yes, New York City was my intention, not New York my bad =)

Adventure as in, one man, one camera, open road, thousands of miles from home. That in itself is an adventure to many, including myself. I’m from the UK, so my aim of making the post, was to see if anyone could broaden my route, local knowledge or even people outside of the USA & Canada that did something similar. My aim is to go out and capture my story…or while in the process, the story of others. To me, that’s my adventure =)

I know if I drove myself, I could do the journey direct in less than 10 hours. But my aim is to branch out, deviate. Go north through Montreal or south via Detroit…anything I can do really in 7-10 days.

I acknowledge that it is a little overbroad, but I’m not setting myself and restrictions, other than a no fly rule.

I was interested if many people had done something similar for a similar purpose. With Things to be mindful of….keep me out of trouble….

Thank you everyone who supplied links, I will negotiate my way through them once home this evening.

I hope that’s a little more helpful and provides a little more insight into my purpose of travel.

Thank you all 

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

If your plan includes going all over the map, so to speak, to get to NYC then I hope that you have a decent sized budget. Travelling costs are going to be considerable. There's really nothing to stop you just getting out a good map and choosing some places to visit on your way to NYC. If you are not going to drive yourself and flights are out then you really only have the bus left and good luck with that !! I hope that you are not thinking of hitchhiking.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,587 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

Mark...............one suggestion I have for you is to make your way from Toronto (after you've seen our beautiful city, of course!) to the Niagara Region to view and photograph Niagara Falls....from there you can make your way across the border into the U.S. at Niagara Falls, NY and travel on to NYC, via New York State

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toronto to New York - Any route, any transport

If your intent is to do something unique, adventurous and deliberately rambling, then I wouldn't be asking for advice about how to do it. I mean, I would, if we were talking about a remote region or one with limited transportation options. But we're talking about one of the most developed regions of North America. All transportation modes are available, as are all types of settings and destinations. There are major freeways, quiet back roads, cities, towns, agricultural areas, and parks. You can do pretty much anything between Toronto and NYC or in nearby areas. So spend some time with a map, clarify your vision a bit, and if you have specific questions about how to do certain things or what there is to do in certain places, come back to the forums. Right now you're at the stage of "I want to do something, don't know what, that starts at point A and ends at point B". That's not really something we can comment on in any helpful way.

By the way you mention biking... if you're a strong cyclist, you could probably get from Toronto to New York by road bike in a week to 10 days. That would certainly be an adventure though I'm not sure if it's what you have in mind.