We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car options (Under 21)

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Rental car options (Under 21)

Hi, I'm looking for a rental car for mid march.

I'm looking for a business that accepts people under 21 years of age. My group of friends and I are all 20 years old so we're trying to find a rental car big enough for 4 people that will accept renters under 21. Please help!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car options (Under 21)

Hertz - under 25 - $50. surcharge

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car options (Under 21)

phpr, I'm pretty sure Hertz has an age minimum of 21, and charges the $50/day to customers aged 21-24 (with some exceptions, eg CAA members). I could be wrong, I didn't look it up just now to confirm, but that's what I remember from dealing with them in the past.

Sorry sushimi_roll, I don't know of any car rental agencies that accept drivers below 21, as far as I know the minimum age is always 21 or 25. When I was below 21 and needed a car, I'd rent one for my parents and drive theirs; if any have changed their policies since then I'm not aware.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car options (Under 21)

No ... I did a dummy reservation on Hertz's website, for Toronto location, and it allowed an underage driver (20 - 24), with a surcharge... as I noted.

The OP should probably confirm that the location would indeed rent to an underage driver.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car options (Under 21)

Ah, well that's good news. Pretty sure it was 21 last time it mattered to me.

sumshi_roll (sorry for botching your user name the first time), you should also look into whether there's some way around the surcharge, like what exemptions exist and whether any are accessible to you... an extra $50/day might pretty much double the cost of the rental.

5. Re: Rental car options (Under 21)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20