We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

Hi,

I will be visiting Canada in the next couple of weeks and am looking for a pre-paid SIM for my iphone4. I will be traveling in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Toronto, the Rockies and Vancouver. I am hoping to use GoogleMaps on the phone to get around and also wish to tether to my iPad for email and other purposes.

What is the best prepaid SIM that is suitable for my use and is it easy to get it upon arrival? It seems straightforward but I have read a number of feed backs that seem to suggest otherwise.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,577 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

This article from the Top Questions to the right side of the Canada Page may help you.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c163066/Canad…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,545 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

>> Pre-paid SIM ..... to tether to my iPad for email and other purposes.

You don't want to do that unless you have an expense account. Please buy an iPad SIM instead (if you have a 3G capable iPad)

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

I don't know why bibimbob is against tethering.

7-11 Speakout has data plan add ons.

speakout7eleven.ca/…data

The best price for you would depend on the length of your trip.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

Note that there are dead spots in the mountains of western Canada (the Rockies and other ranges on the way to Vancouver). Here in the Alberta Rockies, there is service around Banff and Lake Louise, and then a big gap up the Icefields Parkway (hwy #93N) from a bit north of LL until about 30 km south of Jasper. The main carriers (Telus, Rogers) have coverage maps on their websites.

Whitby, Ontario
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

+1 for Speakout.

Speakout as noted above has data plans (up until a few months ago, they had unlimited data but sadly that gravy train has ended!). You can order a sim card online or buy in a 7-11 convenience store here but note that there are no stores on the east coast and I'm not sure they would ship to Australia. Depends where you are starting your trip how convenient it would be. They piggyback on the Rogers network so you get good coverage.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,545 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

Speakout Wireless 100MB for $10 and $0.1 for each additional MB. So tether away.

Meanwhile Bell ipad plan 1GB for $20.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 20:54
7. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 18:42
8. Re: Pre-paid SIM for calls, text and data.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:16