We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
road trip

Hi there we are planning on doing a road trip from toronto to miami and was wondering if there were any rental companies that would allow you to d one way rentals where the final drop off will be in miami?

Also does anyone know how long it would take to drive down?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip

A one way rental would be quite pricey....is there a reason why you want to drive??? Flights to Miami from Toronto are quite reasonable, it may be advantageous to consider this option, IMO...

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,974 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip

There are people who want their car driven from Canada to Florida because they themselves do not want to do the driving. There are companies here that arranges that. Unfortunately I don't have any details, but may be someone could post a link or a company name here....

One way rental will be very expensive.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip

2400 km and about 24 hr straight driving. Did you know that there is a Road Trip Forum with regilars who advise on long drives? Here is the link:

tripadvisor.com/…first

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip

Sounds like a fun trip... as others mention it's about 24 hours pure driving time. Crossing the US/Canada border with a 1 way rental will certainly complicate matters greatly. I did a spot check for 1 way rental from Buffalo, NY to Miami with Hertz and the drop-off fee was "only" $300. I say "only" because that's quite a bit less than I expected. Buffalo is about 2 hours from Toronto, with Niagara Falls in the middle :)

Sooo... if you can get yourself from Toronto to Buffalo (maybe spend a night in Niagara Falls), with public transportation or one way rental, then start your drive in Buffalo... that seems a more realistic and cheaper option...

TDSUPERSTAR... some people (myself included) like the adventure of a drive. I'm quite sure the OP knows flying is an option.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,954 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip

Hi caramel79;

If your plans are to sightsee along the way, I would plan on 3 days or more.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip

TravelinMan314 I would hope that the OP would know that flying is an option since they are from Melbourne, a heck of a boat ride to Canada, I'd say! My point of the considerable expense of the drop off fee in comparison to the fact of the cheap flights are available (which may not be known by the OP) might be taken into consideration.....I love the open road as can be seen by my travel map and reviews......I also think of the value of a dollar which may be important to some....

Edited: 23 March 2014, 19:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,138 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip

What I like so much about TA is that people can throw what they know out there. You never know who knows what, who doesn't know what or what will help them. By the end of the thread, the OP should have some things to help them with their research.

So, "thanks in advance" for the opportunity to post. lololol.

8. Re: road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:17