We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

Hello all,

My partner and I are looking at going to the Beaches International Jazz Festival (festivalarchive.com/event/…) this July as part of our global 'music tour'.

We were wondering if anybody has ever been to the fest before and could perhaps share their experience with us and perhaps offer any 'tips' to help us get the most of the festival?

Neither of us have ever been to Toronto but are very much looking forward to going. We'll be arriving a couple of weeks before the event and hope to take in as much of Toronto as possible, if anybody has any advice for some other good live music events or venues that will be on during this time we'd love to know about them.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul & Claire

Toronto Bicycle Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Zoom Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours, Day Trips
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

In past years, the festival has taken place across multiple weekends, but I believe this year will be more compact. The Beaches are easily reached by streetcar or bike from downtown. The area is great for spending the day, with kilometres of biking and walking trails and excellent restaurants. You are bound to hear great artists and have interesting conversations in the beer gardens with great people. Definitely walk or bike the Leslie street spit for great views of the Toronto skyline. In fact, the best views of the Toronto skyline. I wouldn't advise staying in the reaches overnight unless you prefer peace and quiet.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

As the title of this thread points out, the festival is July 18-27 this year, so it goes over two weekends and the intervening week. My favourite part is the Streetfest on the final weekend, when Queen Street through the Beaches neighbourhood is closed to traffic on 3 consecutive evenings and bands play outdoor sets along the strip. Other than that, the main venues are in major parks like Woodbine Park and Kew Gardens.

chuck k has named some nice biking routes but when you're a tourist visiting from overseas, access to a bike isn't always super convenient... you could rent one of course if that's an interest of yours. But there are options for nice skyline views that are more convenient than Leslie Spit (which is only open to the public on weekends btw).

I consider the Beaches a reasonably vibrant neighbourhood, though not as bustling as the downtown core. Nothing wrong with staying somewhere there. Although if you're in the city for some time outside the festival dates, staying somewhere more central may be better.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

I"m a Beacher, and I would also recommend staying downtown to get the most out of your trip.

I agree with the previous poster that the best part of the festival is the final weekend streetfest. Thursday night is usually 'locals' night, and the least busy night of the festival.

4. Re: Beaches International Jazz Festival (18 July - 27 July 2014)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16