We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Ev
Scotland
Level Contributor
96 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Read in one of the posts that people had used Hotwire. Never heard of it before but checked tonight. A 4* hotel in Downtown Toronto is $88 per night for the 3 nights we will be there in October. Am inclined to book but having never used the service I am slightly wary (a British characteristic!) Guess at those prices if it was the pits we could only stay for one night and find something else and put it down to experience!

Any advice?

Ev

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

They are reliable. It's probably a nice place. Browse over to

betterbidding.com, and find canada and find the toronto downtown hotwire hotel listings. It's a good website that shares known information from hotwire and priceline. There is a good chance they will have the hotel listed. No guarantees, but they do a great job.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Hotwire deals directly with the large hotel chains and the large chains only, so you won't end up in some obscure motel that thinks it's 4-star. GeoNitt posted in an earlier thread that the 4* Hotwire hotels in downtown Toronto included the Hilton Toronto, Hotel Intercontinental, Le Royal Meridian King Edward, Metropolitan, Sheraton Centre, and Westin Harbour Castle.

That said, you probably won't get the best room at the hotel -- all hotels have some rooms that are smaller, don't have the best views, etc. and these are the ones they typically fill via Hotwire. But you still get the great location and service of these hotels.

Ev
Scotland
Level Contributor
96 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Many thanks for this. Should have taken the trouble to read further down the posts - will do it in the morning. Way too late to make sensible decisions now.

Thanks

Ev

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Interesting comments but I have gotten regular rooms. You don't get to pick a smoking/non smoking at the time of the reservation, but when I check in, I ask if non is available and have been given my request. If you want a discount, and don't have to have a certain hotel, but the general area that hotwire describes, then it very well may be worth trying!

Level Contributor
2,033 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Ev

With 4* in Toronto and by the airport, I got Sheraton downtown and Sheraton at YYZ T3..

As soon as you book, call the hotel so you can state your preferences e.g. smoking or not, number of beds, whether upper of lower floor is preferred. I feel I'm treated the same as any other customer, even though I've used Hotwire.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

Interesting... my comment was based on what I was told by a check-in clerk at the Westin in downtown San Francisco. It has a newer wing and an older wing, and she said that with a Hotwire reservation she had to put me in the older wing but since they weren't full she could give me one of its better rooms. (It was a funny comment; I hadn't even asked about the types of rooms.) I had no complaints about the room I got.

The other unusual part was that overnight parking -- since it wasn't discounted -- cost about half the room rate!

7. Re: How reliable is a 4 star hotel on Hotwire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 08:20