We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Hi everyone, I'm going to Toronto for three weeks and would like some restaurant recommendations or ideas. I will have car transportation for most of the time and after will be living downtown near UT for a few days, so location can be anywhere in the Toronto area really. I will use the public transit too depending on the location. So far I have Richmond station on my list.

What I am looking for is basically any restaurant that you know has awesome food for reasonable prices. I'm not so interested in fancy food / fine dining though (too expensive and I am not bringing the right attire). Preferably no chains unless they're Toronto specific or something that really shouldn't be missed. If you know of good happy hour deals or meals like that I would also love to hear about them. I would also love to know what your go to restaurant is when you take a visitor out for breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner! I'm good with any type of food - I eat almost anything! I look forward to seeing what is out there!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,217 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Hi Stephanie ~

Are you aware that the menu bar up top has a Restaurants tab that you can open? There you will find reviews of all the listed restaurants in TO. You can use the filters down the left to customise your search and tailor make a list of restos that suit just you: your dining style, your budget and the neighbourhood of your choice. Sometimes it is nice to discover your own amazing find.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

It depends on where you're staying and what type of food you crave too. Check out the restaurant guide at NOW Magazine. Here are a few of my current favourites:

La Cubana, Sukhothai, Banh Mi Boys, Wvurst, The Senator.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

http://www.torontolife.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
941 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

IMO I would not say Richmond Station has the most reasonable prices if that's one of your criteria.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

For BBQ-The Stockyards, Barque.

Try Carousel Bakery at the St Lawrence Market for a Toronto tradition, a Peameal on a bun!

Best Burrito-Chino Locos!

California Sandwiches and Hey! Meatball in Little Italy are worth a look.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

La Carnita for tacos and drinks. Ravi Soups for soups and wraps. Rhum Corner for Haitian food and rum-based drinks. Big Crow (warning - hard to find! Ask for help if you decide to go) for BBQ-inspired, but not traditional BBQ, food and drinks.

I've named a few of my favourite "trendy", reasonably inexpensive restaurants that are fairly centrally located. But there are plenty of more old-school, cheap and awesome food stops around... just take a walk through Kensington Market, Chinatown, Little Portugal etc.

If you're prepared to go to the east end, Prohibition Gastropub (Queen and Broadview) has a pretty good happy hour arrangement.

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Here are some of my regular go-to places.

I agree with La Carnita -love it.

Brunch - White Brick Kitchen. You might want to try them for dinner too.

The Emerson - really good brunch and great dinners too. A little out of the way but right at a subway stop.

Terroni on Queen West. Great for lunch or dinner but don't dare ask for your pizza to be cut or for any sustitutions.

Shogun sushi in Yorkville. Been around for ever and very good.

Burgers Priest or Burgernator in Kensington Market for hamburgers.

The Senator for dinner.

Bannock - great chicken pot pie.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Hopper Hut in Scarborough if you dig real fiery Sri Lankan food that is very cheap.

If you go to Baldwin street in downtown there are many ethnically different restaurants within a very small area. They are as diverse as French, Italian, Mexican, Thai, Chinese. Food is generally good and are all reasonably priced as these cater to the people from the surrounding banks, hospitals and government offices. The prices generally cheaper during lunch but obviously places are more crowded.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Well if we're talking about Sri Lankan joints in Scarborough, I should mention Babu... though these are more off the beaten path. Having said that though, if you have a car you can go there, if you're willing to spend the driving time (or if you're heading out that way anyway, for example to go to the Toronto Zoo, Scarborough Bluffs or for a hike in Rouge Park).

Very good point about Baldwin St -- it's the sort of restaurant strip you might not expect to find, since it's sort of tucked away in a residential neighbourhood (but very close to the AGO and Chinatown), and very eclectic. A lot of Japanese food there these days as well as the cuisines you mentioned.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants not to miss when in Toronto!

Babu is more of a take out place, or was the last time I was there few years back. However, it does have an amazing variety of Sri Lankan and South Indian food.

if you want a totally different Japanese food experience, try Guu Izakaya, at 398 Church St. in downtown. Unfortunately, they don't take reservations and given its popularity, it is always about 45 min. wait.

The other really neat place that we were at recently is the Dragon Rolls in Pickering. It is a Japanese-Thai all you can eat place where you order your dishes on a tablet at each table. You don't have to order at once, you can keep entering your selections into the tablet as you eat and they keep on bringing the food to your table. Very good food, all you can eat, reasonable at $25.00 per person without drinks.

Toronto does have some amazing food places to enjoy.