We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

I plan to be in the area in the near future. Based on my itinerary, driving the portion of the 407 ETR between Oakville (the 403) and the 401 would make the most sense. I am from the USA so I will not have a transponder. Can someone give me a ballpark idea how much this would cost? Will they mail me a bill in the US? Could I get a transponder for just a couple of days? My state does not have a plate on the front, will that cause a problem?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

From the www.407etr.com FAQ:

"Do out-of-province users also have to pay tolls?

By law, all users of the highway are responsible to pay for usage, including out-of-province and U.S. customers"

They will photograph your rear license plate and mail you a bill. If one has Ontario plates, your license plate renewal can be denied until the bill is settled... I know some of the border states (New York for example) have "mutual enforcement mechanisms" for things like tickets and tolls.... not sure of the specifics for each individual state.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

I may be wrong, but I don't think 407 toll charges apply to visitors, simply because there is no way to bill you and collect. In any case, you don't have to use 407 to get to 401 from 403.

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

laviniam, that is incorrect.

Reciprocal agreements between provinces and most states share license information.

Out of province will be billed as mentioned in post #1

Look at rates for Video Recorded on www.407etr.com/tolls/rate-chart-2014.html

or use calculator at http://www.407etr.com/highway/map.html

Total distance (km): 9.8

Cost per kilometre: $0.2830

Toll charges: $2.80

Trip toll charge:$0.80

Video toll charge: $3.95

Total toll charge*: $7.55

Then they add a $3.40 monthly account fee for all the trips

So all told abou $10.95 for 1 trip

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

If you are only looking to get to the where the 403 meets the 401 it will not save you much time taking the 407, I also do no tthink the distance is much different (mabye 1-3 km)

Personally just stay on the 403 until it links with the 401 near the airport.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,093 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

Yeah ... I wouldn't use the 407 for that short a distance ... too much hassle.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

$10.95 for 9km's, so frustrating!

Ontario
Level Contributor
999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

Assuming that you are travelling eastbound, just stay on the 403/QEW and then exit to the 403 just east of Trafalgar Road to head towards the 401. The QEW/403 starting at Guelph Line and the 403 starting near Winston Churchill both have high occupancy lanes that you can use if you have the driver plus at least one passenger in the car.

new york
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

I've taken the 407 a few times because I'm wimpy and wanted to avoid the worst of the traffic. They absolutely will mail you a bill. I pay online by credit card.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,068 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

Hi LS999;

There is no need to use the 407 ETR, as many "free" highways, parallel its route.

Best Regards

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 407 ETR route for visitors from the USA

Sticker Shock! I just got my bill for this toll road in the mail; $15.26 Canadian (Toll charge: $7.91, Video toll charge: $3.95, and Account fee of $3.40). There are no signs anywhere indicating the amount of the toll, only cameras to record your plate number. Next time I travel, I'll avoid this road.