We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sick kids visit

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sick kids visit

Hi, we will be travelling to Toronto in mid August as my niece is having surgery at Sick Kids. Can anyone recommend a good hotel nearby that's reasonable? Her dad will be staying at the hotel too while her mom will be with her at the hospital. I will have two 16 year old girls with me and we'll be doing some site seeing as well as visiting the hospital.

Thanks!!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sick kids visit

See the following link from Sick Kids website about hotels that offer accommodation rates to those visiting the hospital.

sickkids.ca/VisitingSickKids/…index.html

What do you consider reasonable - please provide a $$ budget. Note the hospital is right downtown in a busy tourism and business area. You may have to search outside of the downtown core. Public transit is easy, efficient and affordable. If you are going to be in the city for a length of time you might also consider a holiday rental apartment.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 23:20
Toronto
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sick kids visit

The closest hotel to Sick Kids is probably Eaton Chelsea. I would not expect it to be cheap. There are many bed and breakfast places to a bit west of the hospital, in Annex area. You might want to try those. These are pretty nice houses.

The other place you can consider is dorm rooms at University of Toronto, again very close to the hospital. These are the rooms in the student residences which are rented out during the summer for visitors. They generally include breakfast in the resident cafeteria. The food is good and the room prices are very cheap, but of course they are not hotels.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 23:29
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sick kids visit

lavinium's suggestion of the U Toronto Summer hotel program is good, however note that most of the residences close this program off around August 17th - 20th, as the dorms must be made ready for new & returning students. If your dates fit, it's an affordable option.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sick kids visit

I found hotels online for about $120-150 and doubted I'd find anything cheaper than that, but thought I"d ask around. I'd prefer to be close to the hospital and we'll only be in town for about 5 nights.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sick kids visit

Interesting, thanks! I'll look into the dorm rooms.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sick kids visit

Have you tried Airbnb for Toronto? Pretty much anywhere you stay in downtown Toronto will be accessible to Sick Kids. The Hospital is in the middle of University Avenue, so it's right on the University subway line. Anything that says "entertainment district" or Waterfront, or downtown...really at best might be up to 15 minutes away. https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Toronto--Canada . Sometimes you can get an entire apartment for all of you instead of multiple rooms.

Have a look; if you see something that appeals to you, run it by us and we can tell you if it sounds right.

7. Re: Sick kids visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Toronto