We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Toronto

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Toronto

My daughter and I are flying into Toronto for a day trip. A couple of sights that we would like to see are the CN Tower and Casa Loma. We would also like to visit China Town. Could somone please recommend the best ground transportation to get to and from the airport to these locations?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Toronto

That sounds like a lot for one day, including flying in and out of Toronto and getting downtown from the airport and back. What time are you arriving and departing, and are you flying in to Pearson (YYZ) or Billy Bishop (YTZ)?

Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Toronto

Flying in to YYZ. We will arrive about 9am and leave about 7pm.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Toronto

Under Top Questions, to right of this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-c116016/Toron…

Best way to get around the city is by public transit - including using the TTC express bus from airport to Kipling subway station:

www.ttc.ca

Suggest you use google maps - you can map in the places you want to see, and get directions between them all, using the transit and/or walking options.

Remember you will come through Canada Customs on your arrival, and must clear US customs & security on departure. That will mean you must be back at YYZ by 5:30 at latest for a 7pm flight.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
4,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Toronto

Sounds pretty tight, time-wise. If I were going to attempt it though, here's what I'd do:

Take a cab from YYZ to the CN Tower. After your visit up the tower, walk up John St to its northern end, cut northwest across Grange Park and continue north along Beverly to Dundas. Walking west along Dundas to Spadina (and possibly a few blocks north of Spadina) will show you most of Chinatown.

At this point, catch a northbound streetcar up Spadina to Spadina Station. Go up the stairs to the bus platform and take the 127 bus to Spadina and Davenport, the bottom of the Casa Loma stairs. (Alternative: if it looks like the 127 bus will be a long wait at Spadina Station, go back downstairs, walk the long tunnel to the northbound subway platform, take a northbound subway 1 stop to Dupont Station, and walk north on Spadina to the Casa Loma Stairs). Go up the stairs and enter Casa Loma.

From there, arrange a taxi back to the airport.

I'm assuming your flight out leaves at 7, so you'll have to leave for the airport a bit before 5. If you meant your flight is later and you're leaving the city around 7 to get there, do all this in reverse order, since Casa Loma closes at 5 and the CN Tower stays open later.

Alternately, you might find that renting a car for the day would be cheaper than making the round trip by taxi. In this case I would rent at the airport, drive to Casa Loma, and leave your car there while going to the other destinations by transit. The direct transit route from Casa Loma to the CN Tower would be to walk down the Casa Loma stairs and south on Spadina to Dupont Station, take a southbound subway to Union Station and walk to the CN Tower from there. On the way back you can follow my earlier directions to incorporate Chinatown.

EDIT: Didn't see phpr's reply before I posted but the reason I'm suggesting taxi or rental car to get into the city from the airport rather than TTC is because of the tight timelines involved, driving would save some time... but yes, the 192 bus to Kipling Station would certainly be cheaper.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 21:40
Detroit, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Toronto

Thank you for the info

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Toronto

A lot for one day, but tweedwolfscream's suggestion of an itinerary is spot on...

7. Re: Day trip to Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:15