We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap winter clothes

Navi Mumbai, India
1 post
Save Topic
Cheap winter clothes

I want to buy cheap winter clothes for my family in Toronto.I am new here and don't know where to buy.Please tell me some shops and address in and around Toronto.Also proper shoes for a child and where to get them.Thank you

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,988 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap winter clothes

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Daisy;

To get you started, I would suggest...

The Salvation Army "Thrift Shops"

Goodwill

Value Village

Each has multiple locations around the city.

Best Regards

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,286 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap winter clothes

Wal Mart, Sears, The Bay. And the above mentioned second hand shops. Payless Shoes.

While I understand your need to buy inexpensive clothing, note that when it comes to winter clothing especially for children, cheap is not the best alternative. Winter is an unforgiving season and being dressed warmly is a priority.

Note that winter clothing will likely not be available in stores for another few months.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap winter clothes

When buying winter outerwear for your children, you don't want to buy the clothing with too snug a fit.....it's advisable to leave some room for the inevitable growth spurt that seemingly can take place "overnight" and also for layers underneath the snowsuit/or ski jacket/snow pants combo.......

Edited: 16 July 2014, 12:48
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
28,117 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap winter clothes

In addition to the other good suggestions for stores at which to shop, you can also find lower prices at Target stores, and Marshalls and Winners stores.......various locations across the GTA.......

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap winter clothes

There are a bunch of outlet malls that sell winter clothes on Orfus Road near Yorkdale shopping center. You can find all you need in those shops. However, I think it is a bit too early for winter cloths yet. Stores will have them by end of August.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap winter clothes

Maybe Costco if you have access to a membership ....

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap winter clothes

As mentioned previously, you may not want cheap, especially since frostbite can occur during the winter when temperatures drop so you want to make sure you have quality clothing to protect your children from the weather. In addition, you won't find winter clothing till probably the October-November months.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,988 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap winter clothes

Hi Daisy;

The "trick" to dressing for winter weather is to dress in layers.

To dress in layers, I would suggest the following;

• An undershirt

• A warm shirt, 50% polyester / 50% cotton

• A light sweater

• A warm coat with a waterproof / windproof outer shell.

Believe it or not, the worse thing to happen is to get cold / wet feet ! With cold feet, you’ll never feel warm.

Be sure to put on a warm pair of socks, and wear a pair of insulated shoes or boots that won’t transfer the cold and that are waterproof. If there isn’t any snow or slush, you don’t need to worry about the waterproof part.

You'll need a warm hat, as most of your body heat is lost through your head. Also, a warm pair of mitts or gloves to keep you hands warm.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap winter clothes

To the OP.

RescueTeam got it right. You do not have to spend a lot of money, just follow the above instructions.

Have a look at International Clothiers, they sell fairly cheap merchandise. Although it would be difficult to find winter gear in the middle of summer.

10. Re: Cheap winter clothes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 05:16