We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

M N
Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

We are a "young" couple in our mid-30's to early 40's celebrating our first anniversary! We will would like to explore the area between Niagara, ON and Toronto in a few weeks. We will not be traveling with children.

We typically like visiting interesting places and see things away from the touristy crowds and long lines. Although we will be stopping by the falls, can anyone recommend some fun ideas?

We are traveling on a budget, so we'd like to know what are the "not to be missed" things we should visit? More importantly, can you recommend places that locals enjoy visiting?

Here are some things we may enjoy:

Street fairs or local downtown celebrations

Restaurants, coffee houses, street food- (preferably cheap prices up to $20 per person) We like Italian, Thai, bar/pub food, and specifically would love to try any local foods.

Short walking trails with no large hills or climbing, since my husband is still recovering from an injury.

Nice downtown areas with shops and restaurants to walk around and browse through shops (preferably away from the hectic, noisy crowds); places where we might hear free outdoor performances.

Do you recommend a water park that would be fun for adults? I do not think we will stay at the location overnight (ex. Great Wolf Lodge), but would like to know if the water parks are typically just for kids or if there are enough things for adults as well? I enjoy the wave pools, lazy rivers, the average water slides....wouldn't do as many extreme water slides, but my husband might.) Are there typically long lines?

Any other ideas you could think of would be welcome as well. (anything in or between Niagara and Toronto) Thanks so much!

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Hello,

Well, there's really not much between Niagara Falls and Toronto; they're not that far apart. But here's what I can come up with. There are some nice walking trails as part of the Bruce Trail in Hamilton, but since I haven't done them I can't tell you about the level of difficulty. This area is part of the Niagara Escarpment, so it's hilly.

brucetrail.org/explore/23-featured-hike-webs…

Check out Burlington's or Oakville's "nice downtown" area with its shops and restaurants.

visitoakville.com/experience-oakville/…

http://burlingtondowntown.ca/

The only waterpark I know of is in Brampton, which is a bit north of Toronto/Mississauga, and yes, it will be crowded and full of kids.

http://www.wildwaterkingdom.com/

I am going to assume that part of your visit to Niagara Falls will include Niagara-on-the-Lake. However, if you hadn't planned on it, visiting NOTL is a "must-do".

Toronto
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Welland Canal and the lock system at St. Catherines.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Don't waste your time and go to Toronto.

Ancaster, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Hamilton and Burlington both have nice waterfront parks with paved walking trails along the lake and restaurants. Hamilton also has a great waterfront trolley ride. Burlingtons downtown is directly across from its waterfront park so its easy to do both. The also have a great new pier to walk out on.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,589 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

M N.....if your visit is around the Labour Day weekend then check out the huge streetparty Ribfest, held annually in downtown Burlington along the Waterfront in Spencer Smith Park...this event sounds exactly like what you describe youre looking for...l believe its the largest of its kind in Ontario...Burlington is located almost halfway between Toronto and Niagara Falls and from the criteria you list , its downtown area near Brant and Lakeshore has what your looking for..there are often street festivals and/or live bands playing on summer weekends in the downtown core....the first poster left you info with the citys website and also the site for the neighbouring city of Oakville which also has a lovely downtown waterfront area...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,589 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

I checked the website for the Ribfest I mentioned in my previous post and find that it's actually the largest in Canada, not just Ontario.............here's a link to the site, that also includes a coupon you might want to use...

When there aren't big festivals being held, downtown Burlington still has a vibrant waterfront area and downtown core with many streets lined with shops, cafes, pubs, restaurants, art galleries, ice cream/pizza parlours, bakeries, a small playground/splashpad for children in Spencer Smith Park, and a long lakefront promenade and pier......

http://www.canadaslargestribfest.com

(p.s. - for you krusty :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Mmmmmm.....ribs! And where has krusty been? There is also the CNE in Toronto until Labour Day including the Air Show on the last weekend....

Edited: 19 July 2014, 14:14
M N
Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

We'll be there mid-August, so we'll be too early for the rib-fest. Thanks for the ideas! I'll add these towns to the list of ideas!

M N
Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

Do you have any recommendations for things I can do on my own as well? My husband might have to work a couple of the mornings/afternoons mid-week. We'll probably be staying in St. Cathrines, so I was thinking of going to Niagara-on-the-Lake and then going back with my husband for dinner. Any nice coffee or lunch places I can visit on my own? What else?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,668 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in/between Niagara and Toronto

See my response on this post:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155013-i1954-k7642…

As a side note, you have three threads running on the same topic in three different places, which makes it very confusing for suggestions.