We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
531 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

Hello Fellow Travelers,

My wife and I will be in Toronto for 6 days beginning the Saturday before Labor Day 2014. This is our first visit and have used this type of tour to get our bearings. I've seen City Tours mentioned and some older posts. It seems that some type of harbor tour can be included. More than likely, we'd use it for 1 1/2 days along with subway/bus passes for unlimited travel. We realize that the city will be very busy that weekend and some sites have suggested that it can be impossible to get on buses and that may be a problem. Any/all recommendations would be appreciated. We are beginning our stay at the Intercontinental on Bloor. Not interested in the cheapest option but more interested in value and quality. I know the Concierge at the hotel will have recommendations...have read they can steer you to the one that they make a commission on...not opposed to that because they are providing a service. Thanks in advance, 1NCF

Edited: 18 July 2014, 21:13
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
175 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

We have just returned from Canada and spent 4 nights in Toronto at the start of our trip. We bought passes for the hop on hop off bus, valid for 48 hours and yes it did include a harbour cruise. We found the bus to be very useful for getting our bearings, visiting from place to place and giving us useful info about the city. Some of the guides on board are very funny!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
175 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

Oops sorry, the tickets were valid for 3 days not two!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
531 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

What company did you use for the tours? Thanks, 1NCF

Toronto
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

I used City Sightseeing (http://citysightseeingtoronto.com/) last summer and yes, it included a harbor cruise.

It is possible that it will be quite crowded on a weekend...I'm pretty sure I went on a Friday, and found it crowded at times...at one point, had to stand on the bottom level of the bus, and was surrounded by people, so couldn't really check out the sights. I think that was because we were getting on after the boat cruise, and everyone from the boat was getting on at that stop, so it's not the best spot to board the bus. That being said, if you're seated on the 2nd level, which we were most of the time, it's wonderful.

I would just do it first thing in the morning starting from somewhere before the boat cruise stop and take the full loop around to get your bearings. You can then always ride a 2nd time to get off at the spot you want, and/or take subway/buses once you've figured things out. Maybe give the company a call and find out what times are least busy. Similarly, I'd do the boat 1st thing in the morning on a subsequent day.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
175 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

We all so used City Sightseeing.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
175 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

Also

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

I'd also consider the air show at the CNE that weekend, lots of fun!

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
531 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

Thanks to everyone who made recommendations. We will arrive at the hotel around 1 PM, therefore early morning is out. 1NCF

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

1NCF................the hotel you're staying in is located in a very nice area, with good access to public transit, the Royal Ontario Museum, the Bata Shoe Museum with lots of high end shopping a stones throw away, up and down Bloor Street.....definitely take a stroll around the corner to the Yorkville area, and enjoy the many lovely restaurants/bars /cafes and boutiques which are located there....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hop on and Hop off Tours of Toronto

I can say that "ShopDineTour Toronto has a good reputation, and they have good tour guides.

link. http://www.sightseeingtoronto.com/

Jim B. Toronto.