We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Hi, we are a family with two kids ages 12 and 15. We are looking for something to do in Toronto. We can go on a weekday but it has to be this summer. We are open to many options but what will not be crowded. I know that everything will be somewhat crowded but what will be least crowded and when will it be least crowded

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

The aquarium is Toronto's newest attraction, and very well-done, in my opinion. However, you need to visit first thing in the morning when it opens, or around 7:00 p.m. (it is open until 11) to avoid crowds and to be able to get a close look at all the exhibits.

The problem with arriving early is the traffic driving into Toronto on a weekday. And you'll have to deal with this no matter which attraction you choose. Coming from Hamilton on the QEW/Gardiner anytime between 7 a.m. and noon (yes, noon - I drove out of the city around 11 a.m. last week and the traffic coming into the city was still backed way up into Etobicoke, purely from volume), you'll be stuck in traffic as the Gardiner is reduced to two lanes.

I recommend coming into the city in the mid- to late-afternoon. You could park near the Aquarium and spend some time at the waterfront, have dinner, then visit the aquarium in the evening.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

If you come during the last couple of weeks of August, it will be much less crowded than the first couple of weeks. The end of July and first week of August is Caribana which makes for insane crowd levels, and major routes blocked off. After Caribana is the Rogers Cup which ends on the 10th. A lot of Torontonians will be out of town the last couple of weeks of August too.

If you go tot he tourist attractions that are not in the downtown core, you are less likely to see crowds as well. These are the Toronto Zoo and the Ontario Science Cente.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,076 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

However, do remember the CNE which will take place in the last two weeks of August!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Do take into account the dates of the 2014 CNE - August 15 to September 1st, inclusive.............this event attracts thousands into the city, so traffic will be affected during this period as well.....

Edit-posting same time as phpr

Edited: 25 July 2014, 13:25
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

I'm posting a link for " Free Things" to do in Toronto ...............some of these are not as well known activities/attractions, or off times when attractions are reduced fee, and so tend to be less crowded than some of the better known attractions the city offers....have a look

thriftytourist.ca/free-things-to-do-in-toron…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Toronto Islands can be a great choice, especially if you rent bikes over there & ride around. And the ferry ride over & back is always great. If you go midweek before lunchtime the crowds at the ferry docks should not be heavy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

We went to Toronto zoo last Monday and it wasnt what i'd call crowded.

We went to the Science Center on Tuesday and it was packed with thousands of screaming daycare kids,it was chaos and in my opinion a total waste of money under the circumstances.

Toronto
Level Contributor
507 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Note that the Art Gallery is free Wednesday nights.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

Which art gallery is free on Wednesday nights?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: attractions not crowded in Toronto on a summer weekday

It's the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO) that is free Wednesday evenings.

I agree with the Toronto Island. I took the ferry over last Thursday at about 10:30am and it wasn't too busy.

We also went to the aquarium on the same day at 3pm, and it wasn't too busy. Another hour later would have been better but I don't think you need to wait until after 7pm. All of the camp/daycare groups had just left, so we were able to walk straight in with our pre-purchased, timed tickets. We could get right up to the glass at all of the fish tanks, and the kids had to wait for 1 other person to take their turn on the 'activities', or to pop their heads up through the bubbles.