We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

OK I've just told my teenage sons that I'm posting this question and they're falling about laughing saying definitely no.

I just wanted to double check - we're coming to Toronto and Niagara in September. Then onto Washington DC.

I've sorted out my money but thought if I run down in Canada can I use the American dollar - please humour me and forgive my ignorance!

Thank you.

Port Hope, Canada
Level Contributor
875 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Im going to say in Toronto, probably not, but in Niagara I think you might be able to as they are right on the border and its a major tourist destination or just day trip destination for those coming north of the border. I seem to remember from my last trip to Niagara that alot of restaurants and businesses had signs giving the exchange rate for US dollars etc. Your other option would be to just go into a bank and see if they will change US into Canadian or go to a Bureau De Change in either location.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

You can, but you will get severely punished on the rate of exchange.... It's in your best interest to exchange USD into CAD once you get up here for sure...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,068 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Some places "may" take US funds in Toronto, but at an exchange rate that will not be in your favour ... any retailer can set what exchange rate they want to use. They take US funds as an added service, at a cost to themselves, and of course your change will be made in Canadian funds.

For info on how to get and use CAD see this TA article, from the Top Questions column to the right of this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,299 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

yes you can but the exchange rate that you will receive you might as well give your money away.

It is best to get some cash at an ATM here and the US using a debit card not a CC as the CC withdrawal is considered a cash advance.

+credit cards give a very competitive exchange rate, in Canada chip+pin cards are everywhere and we have an express system where you TAP the reader for purchases under $50 with no pin required.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Thank you!

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Tell the kids you're gonna take the money outta their accounts; that should stop the laughter a bit LOL. Yes, if you absolutely had to use US $, most retailers will accept your American funds, and charge you up the river for it, and then reap the reward at the bank for the exchange. But US is not the currency here, so you might run into the odd patriotic Canadian who will read you a lecture on it.

The ATM machines will save both you and your children from being embarrassed. That's what I use when I'm over in your territory, it's just as effective here. Just don't take out dribs 'n' drabs of it, or you'll pay multiple ATM fees.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Haha! Made me laugh :)

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,661 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

If you are working your way from Toronto > NF > Buffalo? > Washington, DC, then I would suggest you run down your Canadian from Toronto on south to Niagara Falls. At which point, in NF, you will have an easier time of it changing to US $ before slipping over the border to Buffalo. Canadian all gone, American on the rise. :-)

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

I will humour you: spend your US$ by giving them to a panhandler. I was told that they accept US currency.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I spend American dollars in Toronto?

Of course! I have yet to travel internationally and other countries do not accept american (USD) dollars. Everyone accepts our money. Just find out what the currency exchange is in the airport. If you decide to exchange currency, change it over in the country your are departing from rather than when you arrive to your destination. WARNING I just left Canada 2 wks ago, and their taxes in ridiculous there!! The good news is the exchange is almost a $1 for a $1. Have a nice trip!