We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoiding rush hour traffic

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Avoiding rush hour traffic

I will be visiting Toronto on a weekday - probably this Thursday, Aug. 7 - driving in from across the border in the US. I can time my inbound trip to avoid most of the morning commute traffic but when is a good time to leave downtown for my return trip in the afternoon to miss the heaviest outbound commute traffic? I am very flexible with my schedule, but would prefer to not wait till evening to drive home. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

I'd leave no later than 3:30 pm ... 3 if you can do it. Or wait until 6.... there will still be traffic at 6, but you'll be in the tail end of it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

+ 1 for phpr's advice......

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

No later than 3:30pm for sure. Note that if you are right downtown, though, there is traffic congestion pretty much all day long due to the large amount of construction going on.

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

Good advice. Thank you all very much

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

Stay later and enjoy the city longer!

Fayetteville, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

I have a senior dog at home that I don't like to leave alone very long, even thoughI did have someone come to stay with him for part of the day today; I just didn't want to stay past early afternoon. I did real well on the trip to the city. Left very early and made it downtown with not much hassle, and got to the ferry dock before the first boat even left for Hanlan's Point. Spent several hours at the nude beach. Planned my return trip ahead but missed my ferry by one minute. Caught the next one, but then got lost downtown as I could not seem to get to the street with the ramp back to the expressway. So much construction. By the time I got back on the Gardiner it was too late. A VERY long drive home. The city has just changed so much in the past 20 years. A bit too much for this country fellow now. And what is it with those blasted black biting flies at the beach? But all in all it was a good day and I had fun. Toronto is certainly impressive. Thanks for the advice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

The nude beach can be disorienting for just about anyone...,the scenery can just throw about anyone off...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

Dana, thanks for coming back with an update! Hopefully construction and black flies won't be enough to completely put you off a return now that you're a pro at navigating the city's ins and outs. Glad your day was (mostly) a success.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

if you leave downtown at 330 going west, you will hit major traffic around through oakville a ford drive at 4 or so. if you can get out earlier, i'd suggest no later than 2 and stop for lunch once you pass hamilton (the lake house is a great spot on the water with a FANTASTIC view just about 20 min past hamilton).

Edited: 08 August 2014, 11:47
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,671 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoiding rush hour traffic

See reply #6. The OP has been and gone. .