We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Toronto

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
662 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Toronto

We arrive at Toronto, Pearson Int. 3:00 PM next May. Our flight leaves the next morning at 9:00 AM. We will get a hotel near the airport. We would like to go spend the late afternoon sight seeing. Any recommendations of something we don't want to miss? Also, if you had a choice of a restaurant, money not being an issue, where would you eat dinner?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Toronto

What time of May will you be here? There can be a huge difference in temperatures between the beginning and the end of the month.

Realistically, you will be getting to your hotel at around 4:30, heading for downtown at maybe 5:15, getting downtown at 6:00.

The CN Tower is a logical attraction to suggest. In May, sunset ranges from 8:20PM at the beginning of the month to 8:50PM at month's end, so you would have the opportunity to be there in time to see the lights of the city come on. They have a restaurant, but it certainly doesn't fit into your 'best quality no matter the cost' criterion.

For dining we'd suggest Edulis, Buca, Momofuku. Canoe is one of the city's top rated, but its at the top of a skyscraper so if you visit the CN Tower it may be a bit redundant. There are many many dining options- is there anything you love but can't find at home?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Toronto

CN Tower is an excellent suggestion....if you like Mexican fare, consider El Catrin...it's in the Distillery District and has an excellent assortment of foods and tequilas!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Toronto

I may be biased since I'm a local and personally find the typical tourist attractions (CN Tower, museums, etc) overrated and too separated from the real heartbeat of Toronto, so take this with a grain of salt.

An alternate to CN Tower is Panorama Lounge at the Manulife Center at Bay & Bloor, downtown. Yes, it's not the tallest skyscraper in the city, but it's set back far enough from most of them that you'll get an amazing view of Financial District & the CN Tower. Best of all you don't pay any cover charge to go up (like you would at CN Tower), you just get a table and order drinks / appetizers. You'll be mingling with fewer tourists than at CN Tower, and with more locals, which I prefer personally. I would suggest going up right before sunset (look up the time online beforehand) and watching the city beautifully transition from daylight to city lights. I wouldn't go up there for dinner as you'll be starving - what cuisine are you looking for? There are a ton of restaurants in the nearby Yorkville neighbourhood with varying price ranges & cuisine styles. You'll easily find something you like, "money not being an issue".

Another idea is to take a stroll down the Yonge St corridor between College & Queen. It should still be busy in the evening after a lot of the tourist attractions have closed for the day. You'll find shops and restaurants. This is the kind of thing where if you must do something touristy, do this since it will give you the touristy vibe plus a good sense of Toronto's local heartbeat. There's a mix of both. For a great view of Yonge Dundas Square from an elevated patio at dinner you can try Jack Astor's or Milestone's in the 10 Dundas East complex.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,461 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Toronto

Granted, the CN Tower is touristy, but I actually don't see what's wrong with being a tourist....I'm fairly certain most of us have been tourists at one time or another..........I would never have gone to Paris, and skipped the Eiffel Tower, although I'm sure the locals stay away in droves.....just so you're aware, if you have dinner at the 360 restaurant atop the CN Tower, then your access to the lookout and glass floor levels of the Tower is complimentary....No, I would not say its the very best restaurant in the city, but it's actually quite decent and you could certainly do much worse.....if you timed it right, you could see the city both by daylight, and then as its darkens and the city lights up at night....after dinner, take that stroll down Yonge Street, as suggested by the previous poster.......the way I see it, you will have experienced Toronto's most iconic landmark, had an enjoyable meal, have seen the city views both day and night, and gotten a taste of the beat of the downtown core of the city, albeit a small one... there's only so much you can do in a few hours - you'll just have to come back when you can stay awhile........if eating dinner at one of Toronto's best restaurants is your goal, then skip the Tower, and focus your energies on the meal......there are any number of very good restaurants in the city.......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Toronto

Your flight arriving at 3:00 pm suggest you will only get to the hotel 5:00 pm .

I will recommend to stay at doubletree hotel off Dixon road, they are just outside of the airport.

In case you are tired after the flight, the hotel offers a great Chinese restaurant, one of the better chinese cuisine in a Toronto. The hotel have a few restaurants, from japanese, steak , otherwise there is a Keg steakhouse not far.

CN Tower restaurant is a good choice, double check if there is a hockey game that nite, otherwise traffic will be wakeful around the area.

Weather is still cold in May in Toronto. Bring a warm jacket !

6. Re: One night in Toronto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:17