We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

My partner and I flew from Glasgow to Toronto on August 14th, staying at The Days Inn, downtown Toronto. I had spent many an hour on-line prior to our trip, much of it on here and as always it really paid off.

We decide to take a cab from the airport and it cost us $45 plus tip (more of later!) Upon arrival at the hotel we were advised that a room wasn't ready for us and would be another hour! Having been up for 24hours plus, this wasn't the best news for us, but undeterred we decided to go in to the coffee shop at the front of the hotel. Now if my memory serves me right it's called The Coffee Zone and I ahve nothing but praise for the staff, the selection of coffees, the large comfy sofas and the laptops! Ten out of Ten!

To cut a long story short, our room wasn't ready for another couple of hours and we used this time to familiarise ourselves with the immediate area, The College shopping mall, the subway and The Atrium!! Impressed?? We were too!!

We soon found the reason for the delay in the room and also for us not having been able to book any other hotel and it was because The International Aids Conference was taking place during that same week.

The hotel is okay, clean, bright, friendly staff, basic but not tatty. Our room was very small, but two large queen beds, tv and coffee maker. En-suite was okay. It was fine as a base, but would have been nicer to have a little more room.

If I write at length in the way I have done above, then we will be here all day! I will just list all that we did and I have to say the following;

Thank you to all who post on here, although we may not post, there are those of us who are getting great advice from you before we embark on our trips and your advice and opinions are invaluable.

Toronto? INCREDIBLE. The architecture? INCREDIBLE. The people? Incredible.

We really did have a wonderful time in a wonderful city. How New York can be named as the friendliest city in the world is beyond my comprehension, having been there last October. In my opinion it really is Toronto!

We used the subway, easy to navigate, safe to use. Shop and Dine Jump on Jump off bus, brilliant, we paid $33 each for a ticket that meant we could use it for the duration of our stay (up to 7 days) This helped us decide where we wanted to spend more time. We wandered through China Town which was incredible, having spent my childhood in Malaysia, the smells and the shops took me back 40 years! We did the CN tower, a must-do for everyone, had planned to go up to the pod but the waiting time was 1hour so we spent 20 minutes waiting to go up in the elevator but the views were worthwhile.

I must mention that due to the thousands of people in Toronto for the Aids Conference, there was a tremendous atmosphere where ever we went and we also went to the Aids vigil at 9pm in Dundas Square on the Friday night, very moving!

We had booked a day trip to Niagara for the Wednesday and the three hours we spent there was enough for us, but again, an experience you just have to have.

We went on an hour boat cruise round the Toronto islands and the views are truly magnificent, The Harbour area is another must-do. In my opinion, Toronto is a Shoppers Paradise and the best part of the shops was unlike shops here in the UK, there was room to move about and space within the shops, luxury!

Oh we did Casa Loma too, fabulous and such value for money.

I have forgotten so much of what we did, but I hope this helps anyone thinking of going to Toronto. Don't think about it, GO, it is incredible.

To those of you living and working in Toronto, You should be so so proud of yourselves, I have never come across such friendly and helpful people, with no feelings of fear anywhere on the streets or subway.

Deborah

Toronto
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Wow, Deborah, I loved reading your report!! What a perfect trip you had and, yes,Toronto is a great city to live in.

I think you need to talk to Travel + Leisure magazine. They have just published their Top 10 North American destinations and Toronto didn't make it.

Hope you come back sometime.

poodleville TO
Level Contributor
674 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Great report. Thanks for posting. So glad to hear that you had a great time!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

That's awesome Deborah! So happy to hear you enjoyed yourself. I'm feeling really proud of our town right now.

-UF

Owen Sound, Canada
Level Contributor
628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Wow ! Wonderful report........ makes me proud [er] to be a Torontonian.

Jerry

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Thank you, Deborah for taking the time to post your review of Toronto. I am so pleased to hear how much you and your partner enjoyed the city.

Toronto really is an incredible city ....in every way. I hope some day you will return to Toronto.

All the best to both of you.

Donna

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Thank you all for your lovely messages in reaponse to my posting, they are really appreciated. My idea was only to do for all those either considering going to Toronto or planning a trip in the near future, what was done for me by similar postings prior to our trip and that is give as much help and info albeit basic, in that way, like me they will have as much knowledge prior to their trip and hopefully will enable them to plan and utilise their time to the max.

Thank you all again and I suspect I will be back :-))

Deborah

Inverness, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

What a wonderfully buoyant report! I loved every word. Thanks, Deborah :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
931 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

It's always a delight to read such a lovely trip report from one of our visitors. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

Deborah~ Wonderful trip report!

Especially nice to hear after not making "The List". The AIDS conference did give the whole city a very positive vibe and I'm sure contributed to your fabulous time, but people are very friendly normally. I know lots of people were surprised by New York being named "most courteous" city in the world, but it has changed since 9/11. Anyone interested can see Toronto at least made 3rd!

www.rd.com/content/openContent.do…

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report August 14th to 20th 2006

holland21 Who did you use for your cruise around the islands?

I've been to Toronto several times in the past but am heading back with my chidlren (12 & 14 yrs) in Oct for their first visit so thanks for your report.