We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Greetings:

I am flying from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey in the near future, a direct flight, on Turkish Airlines. Does anyone know the baggage allowance on this flight? I have visited the Turkish Airlines website and it seems to state that the free baggage allowance is 2 bags, with a maximum weight per piece of 23 kg (economy class). However, under their International Flights Free Baggage Allowance section, it simply states that it is 20 kg in Economy Class. I suspect the free baggage allowance is 2 bags (23 kg each), but I just want to make sure. This is very important because I am traveling to Toronto on another airline. This airline has told me that their baggage allowance will be based on Turkish Airlines' baggage allowance because Turkish Airlines is the “Most Significant Carrier” or MSC on my trip. Based on the above, does anyone know what is the exact free baggage allowance for a direct flight from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Any information given is greatly appreciated.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,620 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Not sure anyone here can answer this. You might have better luck and quicker responses if you post on the Air Travel forum:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trave…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Have you tried contacting the airline directly?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,495 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

All inter-continental flights leaving/arriving/transiting a north american airport use the "piece" system. Each piece is 23kg for economy class. If they allow 2 pieces, you get 46kg total.

>> under their International Flights Free Baggage Allowance section, it simply states that it is 20 kg in Economy Class.

Does not apply to North American flights

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
604 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

We've flown out of Toronto via Air Canada on 5 international flights (economy) in the past 4 years, and every time we were allowed 2 bags at 23 kg each.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,495 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

OP is flying Turkish airlines. What you got flying on Air Canada is irrelevant.

Just for the record even Air Canada only allowed 1 bag free at 23kg for flights to NRT for "Tickets issued between July 15 and October 25, 2013". Flights to most of Europe still allow only 1 bag. What you said isn't accurate for all international Air Canada in the past 4 years.

Edited: 19 August 2014, 04:06
Toronto
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

Last October we flew to Asia with Air Canada as the first leg of a code share flight. Only one checked bag was allowed. This January, we flew Air Canada on a direct flight from Toronto to St. Lucia. Only one checked bag was allowed. So I don't know where this "2 pieces allowed" came from. I know for fact that some airlines that fly to Asia through Dubai, like Etihad Airways, allow 2 pieces.

7. Re: Baggage Allowance from Toronto to Istanbul, Turkey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 07:16