We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

Which Toronto hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
2 posts
Save Topic
8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

I am going to Abu Dhabi next month to visit my Dad who works in the UAE. I will be leaving Atlanta at 6:00 AM and arriving at Toronto at 8:05 AM. I have an eight hour layover at Pearson Airport before my next flight to Istanbul where I will catch my final flight to Abu Dhabi. I am just wondering if an eight hour layover at YYZ is enough time to maybe go to Downtown Toronto to see the CN Tower? I've been to Toronto before but I've never been to the CN Tower (something I've always wanted to do. I realize that after clearing Canadian Customs, and then with security and having to be at the gate early before my next flight I will have less than eight hours. I just don't want to spend the whole time in the airport, but I will if I have to. What would be the quickest or the cheapest way to get to the CN Tower from the airport and then back to the Airport? Also, since my luggage will be checked all the way through, is there somewhere at Pearson that I can store my carry on luggage? Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
918 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

You should have enough time but do remember if it's a weekday you'll be in rush hour traffic and due to construction all over the city it's worse than usual this year (from downtown where the CN tower is located IMO rush hour in the morning 6:30-9:30 and in the afternoon 3:00-7:00) ... form the Pearson Airport FAQ ... Storage facilities are however available at the Travel Store located on the Departures Level of Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. The easiest transport is by taxi, and for the cheapest you can take the TTC - see top questions on the right hand side.

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

You should be able to do it. If you are already checked in for your flight to Dubai, you need to be back at the airport about 2 hrs prior to departure. Giving an hour to get from downtown to the airport, you know the latest time you should be leaving downtown. Assuming that it takes about an hour for you to clear customs and get to downtown from the airport, you would have about 4 hours to spend in downtown,

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

If you do visit the CN Tower on the morning of your layover in Toronto, you should consider having lunch at the St. Lawrence Market afterwards(ranked the #1 Food Market in the World)............both are on Front St, and a 15-20 minute walk apart, although you will encounter some construction along the way..............you don't say what day of the week you'll be here, but just note the SL Market is closed Sunday/Monday............

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com

Edited: 19 August 2014, 13:31
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

If you are here on a weekday, consider taking a cab to the Weston GoTransit stop. There are 5 trains in the morning and would be faster than driving at 9am.

Taking the TTC is also an option. Door to door expect 70 minutes. In rush hour, this would be an OK option, then cab it back.

Getting off at Union station, follow the sign for "Skywalk". This will take you right to the base of the CN tower. If you don't see the sign, any local will know. Toronto is a relatively safe And friendly city. Feel free to ask.

Getting to the market, walk along Front street back toward Union, and keep going. You'll see it down there on the right. approx 20 minute walk. Bring some good old mustard with you to the UAE.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

You won't have much time to dawdle, but it's possible...

6. Re: 8 hour layover at YYZ. Visiting the CN tower?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:15