We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Miami
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Toronto in Sept with my husband and two kids (4 and 2). How many days would you recommend for a family with such young kids? We are open to anything, really, as long as the kids can be mildly entertained, as we know we will not have time for adult-only activities or night life. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
2,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Two places for kids, Toronto Zoo and the Royal Ontario Museum - especially its Dinosaur galleries. ROM is in downtown while the zoo is not. Then there is Riverdale Farm, very close to downtown where the kids can pet farm animals. I am sure they will enjoy Niagara Fall as well.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Ripley's Aquarium of Canada....High Park....Centreville....the Ontario Science Centre are also all great for kids...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Oh yeah the Kortright Centre....Legoland (heard mixed reviews though)....Black Creek Pioneer Village....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
956 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

Having a 12 year old and living in To I have done many of the thins mentioned. The zoo, the science center, and the ROM where always big hits. The science centre has lots of hands on and ha a special area just for younger kids ....it's a big place and will ae all at. The zoo also has some great interactive places, a big tree to climb and bones to dig plus a splash pad so take some bathing suits and towels if it's a nice day. Again an all day outing. There is a great play structure at High Park and some animals...all for free. The Islands are nice and there is a small amusement park (for small kids) called Centerville. The Aquarium also looks good for younger kids but i hear it is quite crowded.

Lots if places you can have a nice meal that are still family friendly...Libretos on Ossington for pizza...but go early as they don't take reservations. BQM across the street as good burgers, or Lakeview Lunch an old fashioned diner.

As to how long to stay that depends on how much you want to do. With kids that young you want plenty of down time as well. A good hotel for families is the Eatons Clelsea (formerly the Delta Chelsea on Gerrard) they have a great pool and kids club where you can just hang all together and play or watch movies...my sister in law has stayed there with her 3 kids and always enjoyed it...plus it's right downtown.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

The first time we went to Toronto with our young children we stayed north of the city-accessible to the subway system, and enjoyed the zoo and the Sciencenter. Our hotel was actually within walking distance of the sciencenter. I think we only stayed 2 nights on that trip (it was a while ago...), and that was enough for us at the time.

Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
639 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

An idea for a two-fer with your family could be to visit one of the organic Farmer's Markets that feature added value. The pair that come to mind with kids would be: a) Riverdale Farm (Tues. only 3:00-6:00) and b) the Brickworks (Sat. only 8 am-1 pm).

Riverdale farm is a fully functioning farm set within a nice, upscale neighbourhood of heritage homes called Cabbagetown. Your kids could enjoy touring the small, free farm area with its animals, then you could buy some tasty food to either eat onsite and/or take with you. The farm is surrounded by well-managed woods--this was the site of the original Toronto zoo. The atmosphere here is excellent for families.

The Brickworks might just be the greatest urban renewal project in all of Canada. It features a larger number of vendors at the food market itself (open air with a massive roof) but also has adjoining modern buildings with gardening items, kids crafts, a restaurant and more. But my fave part of this site is the man-made marsh just behind. It is a great place to walk with one's family and one would never know that it is man-made. In late September, of course the leaves will be starting to turn. *If you visit this popular market, be sure to ask around for Efangelo's (aka Angelo) cheese booth. He or his representative sells some of the the best sheep/goat cheese on the planet. We always bring some as gifts at dinner parties and always get rave reviews for this outstanding product. *A nice plus about the Brickworks is that there is a free shuttle bus with frequent departures down into the valley where the market site is, leaving from Broadview TTC subway stop.There are many other markets, but not as attractive for younger kids. I am done. The end.

7. Re: First visit to Toronto with young kids.. how many days...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2015, 05:15