We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Toronto?

Brighouse, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
what to do in Toronto?

Hi

I am visiting Toronto next week, staying with family for ten days in Newmarket (North of Toronto). They keep asking what I want to do when I am there, and I wondered if anyone could offer any suggestions. They have a 6-month old baby, so need buggy/stroller-friendly ideas.

Also, what's the weather like over there at the moment?

Thanks

Linda

Mentioned in this post
Newmarket
Newmarket
Ontario, Canada
Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
84 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in Toronto?

I'm going next week as well so I can't tell you what to do yet but I can point you to the weather forecast - weather.yahoo.com/forecast/CAXX0504.html

Good luck!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in Toronto?

Hello Linda,

If you go to the Search box at the top left hand corner of the TripAdvisor screen and type Inside Toronto, you will find links to many helpful pages about Toronto.

The Family Travel page has many excellent suggestions.

In addition to exploring Toronto, you probably will want to do a day trip to Niagara Falls.

If you are at all interested in art, you should visit the McMichael Canadian Art Collection in the village of Kleinburg. It is home to many paintings by artists who belonged to the "Group of Seven."

But Newmarket is a fair distance to the north of Toronto. If your friends have a baby, it probably would be onerous for them to take you sight seeing on every day of your visit with them. It probably would help them if you would catch the GO Train into Toronto and do independent sight seeing on some of the days that you are there.

That said, if you are interested in visiting the McMichael Canadian Art Collection, it would be helpful if your friends would drive you there, because it would be extremely difficult to get there by public transportation.

Also, if your starting point is Newmarket, it would help you if your friends would drive you to Niagara Falls. (It would be easier for you to visit Niagara by bus if your starting point was Toronto.)

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls
Ontario, Canada
Newmarket
Newmarket
Ontario, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in Toronto?

Sorry, I kept referring to your hosts as your friends, but in re-reading your post I see that they are family members. But that does not change the relevance of my comments.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in Toronto?

You will certainly want to go to the Toronto Zoo, which you can get to readily from where you will be staying.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do in Toronto?

Hello.

You may want to take a trip in to the city and go to the Eaton Centre. It is a great mall in downtown Toronto with several stores that carry clothing, shoes, perfume, make up and many other items. It would be no problem to bring the baby and the stroller there. As well, the mall has a bridge that connects it to the Hudson's Bay Department Store. The Bay, is a huge store with 7 or 8 floors that carries clothing, furniture etc.... many visitors enjoy it very much. The Eaton Centre itself, is quite a nice looking mall. The design of it is very different for a mall, and I think it is worth a trip in to the city for that alone.

www.torontoeatoncentre.com/home/index.ch2

I am not certain if you are interested in seeing any attractions in Toronto. If you are, let us know what types of things you are interested in then we will know what type of suggestions to make. Do you like museums. art galleries, bookstores to name a few things?

The weather is still quite nice ...not too hot, but not too cold either. i would bring a fall jacket, sweaters, shoes not sandals for this time of year.

Good luck.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to do in Toronto?

There are a lot of choices in Toronto, so it would help to know your approximate age and interests.

In general, if the weather is nice, it shouldn't be a problem to put the baby in a stroller and walk around downtown Toronto.

For shopping / sightseeing, there is Queen Street West, Chinatown, Kensington Market, etc. See the Inside Page on neighbourhoods for more:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155019-s204/Toronto:…

The University of Toronto is also great to walk around in, and has some lovely old buildings (though nothing here will seem old to someone coming over from Europe).

The St. Lawrence Market has all kinds of tasty stuff Tuesday through Saturday and an antique market on Saturdays. There is also the Toronto Antique Centre near King and University (276 King St W.), which has dozens of small dealers.

There are also museums: the Royal Ontario Museum, the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, and the Bata Shoe Museum.

That's a start, anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Ontario Museum
Royal Ontario Museum
6,959 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Ontario
Ontario
Canada
7. Re: what to do in Toronto?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 09:17