We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Toronto close during Christmas??

London
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Hello everyone.

Yes it's quite a tongue in cheek question, we are travelling to Toronto for Christmas and wanted to know what things we will be able to do there?

Or is so cold that everybody is wrapped up warm??!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Hello Tania.

On Christmas Day pretty much everything is closed as far as shopping. All the other days however there is plenty to do. Taking in the Boxing Day sales, going to the theatre to see a movie, or to the other types of theatres to see a play (highly recommend Wicked).

There are several museums and art galleries you could visit. You could take a tour of Casa Loma, or go to the CN Tower. There are probably touring skating shows or you could even rent skates and go skating. The Toronto Zoo is open as well.

It is difficult to predict how cold it will be, but you will need a winter coat for sure.

Is there anything specific you can think of you would like to do in the city?

If you check back in this forum the last few months there are many good suggestions of things to do while in Toronto it may give you a few ideas, then you can come back and ask more questions of course any time!

Good luck

n/d

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Chinatown is the only place that will be open on Xmas day :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Last year my family celebrated Christmas on the 24th and went for dinner (Indian) at Kathmandu on Yonge Street on the 25th. Just call ahead if you are planning to go out. You may find some coffee shops and or restaurants open in the core areas.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
917 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Toronto also has a quite extensive "underground city" (sometimes called the PATH) an interconnected set of passageways and shopping areas. Not much open on Christmas Day itself, but otherwise a good way to get around if the weather is very bad.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

I guess "cold" is relative. It rarely falls below -5ºC in Toronto until mid-January or so.

Bring long underwear and a scarf, and you'll be fine.

Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Hello,

I have just returned from Toronto and can I just say 'it was freezing'. I ended up having to buy a wooly hat & scarf while there and spent as much time in the underground as possible. So as long as you are wrapped up you will have an amazing time.

We visted Casa Loma, CN Tower (a meal at night time in the resturant is a must), the museum and even toronto zoo were all worth a visit but the science centre was poor.

Have fun xx

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,054 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

LOL, Lisx, try coming in early February!

toronto
Level Contributor
3,252 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Funny, it's all relative. We were in Scotland last July, during a local "heat wave." That turned out to be around 22-24ºC. Coming from 30ºC+ Toronto, this was almost chilly.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
518 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

I don't think the weather will be any colder then London.....You will need a winter coat...but we don't live in Igloo's! haha! You will be OK..

The underground PATH is a good idea.....and, yes, just like anywyhere else, most stores are closed during major holidays...but anything tourist related will be open.

I hope you enjoy! WELCOME!

If you want an amazing view and restaurant...go to CANOE.....very nice.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does Toronto close during Christmas??

Wow! This year you'll be able to take your family to the largest holiday light show in Canada. Check out the website. www.pdp.ca it starts on November 23 and runs through December. All the information you need is on the website. Enjoy and have fun in Canada!