We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

Streamwood, Illinois
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

This summer my wife and I are planning a trip from the US through Niagara falls, through Windsor and Detroit.

Does anyone know if a passport is needed for a six month old? Or will a birth certificate work. Does anyone have any information on this about getting into Canada in Niagara Falls and getting back into the US in Detroit.

Does anyone know where this information is on the internet? I have seen conflicting information about crossing the border on land.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks, Tom

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,020 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

Hi;

From the Canadian Border Services Agency’s website;

cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4161/rc4161-e.html#P004

Bringing children into Canada

Children under the age of 18 are classified as minors and are subject to the same entry requirements as any other visitor to Canada.

If you are travelling with minors, you must carry proper identification for each child such as a birth certificate, passport, citizenship card, permanent resident card or Certificate of Indian Status.

Re-entering the US

On the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative website, they only state that in the "Summer 2008" will the passport requirement include land crossings, but no specific date.

travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I would strongly suggest contacting the closest US Customs office, and ask them directly.

Best Regards

billstap
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

tgap13, I have travelled across that border with my baby many times and a birth certificate has always been accepted and nothing else required. If your child has a different last name from you I would suggest bringing the full registration of birth but otherwise you should be fine.

Have a great trip!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

Unfortunately, past travel across the border is not likely to be in any way similar to what can now be expected with the new Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

As has been suggested, it would be a very good idea to contact the US government before venturing across the border. A good start might be the local congressman/woman's office.

4. Re: Crossing US/Canadian Border with infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:17