We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions

NY
Level Contributor
778 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions

We plan to go to PEI next summer. We are interested in the attractions around Charlettown but also know there are other nice towns and some scenic drives.

Can you please suggest what you consider to be the best places to go on PEI.

Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Hi Travelus73,

Cavendish Beach is of course a huge destination for tourists (and well worth a visit). But my favourite spot would have to be Stanhope Beach... I just love the geography and the setting.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... If you find the water particularly cold on the northside of the island (the Atlantic) head to one of many great beaches (Provincial Parks) on the southside of the island... being on Northumberland Strait the water is a bit shallower, and the wind tends to blow from the land to the sea, so the water on the southside tends to be a bit a fair bit warmer.

Wyncote
Level Contributor
78 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions

Victoria on the south side is a terrific little town with my favorite restaurant, the Landmark. They have a small playhouse, PEI chocolates and a delicious ice cream spot. I also recommend Cavendish - they have a great beach and as much Anne as you can stand.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions

My favourite PEI drive is along the north shore through "Anne's Land": from Oyster Bed Bridge take Rte 6 west through Cavendish and Stanley Bridge to New London, then turn onto Rte 20 west towards French River, through Park Corner and Darnley to Malpeque. At Malpeque Rte 20 turns left towards the charming little town of Kensington, where there's a nice little pub/restaurant in the old train station. The scenery along the way is memorable -- rolling green fields that open up to amazing views of the Gulf -- and there are lots of little galleries, studios, and shops to stop at.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
36 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestions

The Island is not very big so staying in Charlottetown is a good location to see pretty much everything on the Island.

The only lobster supper I go to is the New Glasgow one - order your lemon meringue pie for dessert at the beginning as it tends to go fast. The rolls are excellent and while it may be tempting to go for a big lobster I think the 1 lbs are better that the bigger ones. You also get all you can eat steamed mussels and they use real butter, they don't cut it with anything.

Almost next door is the Island Preserve Co. in New Glasgow and they have some nice food and the jams are great! Good if you need to do some gift shopping - try the Very Berry. If you like hot sauce, they have a Habernaro and Mango sauce which I am addicted to - try it in tuna or egg salad sandwiches. My family has to send me bottles periodically.

Listen to me when I say, do not miss going to Dalvay-by-the-Sea www.dalvaybythesea.com/. If you don't stay there you definitely have to stop and sit and have a drink outside or have dinner.

I also recommend that you check out The Dunes in Brackley which is a nice craft shop (excuse me - artisans) and has a nice slection of up-scale stuff as well as a nice lunch menu.

You also need to see the musical "Anne of Green Gables" in fact I think you have to show proof of attendance before they let you off the Island :-) The matinee is great for a rainy day and a little cheaper. There are also some shops around the Confederation Centre on Victoria Row.

I like Stanley Bridge, New London area and there are some craft shops between those two places. Also tucked away is a small gallery of Tony Diodati www.tonydiodati.com/ who has some nice pieces of Island lighthouses.

Victoria by the Sea has its own charm and a little playhouse.

Heritage Roads: www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=3541

Gaudreau Woodworking is a great place and there is a nice little restaurant across the road in South Rustico.

Cavendish is Cavendish and you can go see the Anne of Green Gables exhibit. That area is pretty touristy but it is something you should see.

Other entertainment, there are ceileidhs everywhere

and the Indian River Festival with music at St. Mary's Church, www.indianriverfestival.com/festival/

and the College of Piping in Summerside www.piping.pe.ca/

5. Re: Itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 05:16