We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about confederation trail . . .

elizaberthie
3 posts
Save Topic
Question about confederation trail . . .

What is the surface like? Am I going to have a problem taking a road bike on it? Thanks!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

Looking at the google images it would appear that the trail is not paved. This would make me lean towards saying a racing style road bike would not be a great idea.... But if it is more of a commuter style road bike with slightly wider tires you may be able to go in some areas. It also says it is accessible for wheelchairs which might indicate something.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,667 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

It is mainly crushed gravel and some sections are good ol' PEI red dirt. Last time we were in PEI, my husband biked various sections of it, and has done from the northern end at Tignish to Borden-Carleton. He left the road bike at home and took his cyclo-cross bike, and plans to do the same this summer. The other issue with road bikes on the island is that if you are staying anywhere off the main roads, you may have rough dirt or gravel roads to ride over before you get to paved ones.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

I used to biked the trails daily and it's as krp329 says, mostly pea gravel and some hard packed dirt. It's not very good for riding on a narrow tire road bike, even the PEI paved roads are sometimes so beat up or there is no paved shoulder so I always used my mountain bike.

elizaberthie
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

Thanks for the help!

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

Disclosure: My tamily owns PEI's main/oldest bike shop and we also operate cycle tours there. The Confederation Trail & Cycling links provided here are to the Province of PEI's official website.

www.tourismpei.com/pei-confederation-trail

http://search.tourismpei.com/activities/results.php?start_date=2010-04-27&end_date=2010-10-27&regionIDs%5b%5d=0*&subTypeIDs%5b%5d=53*&submit=1

You should be able to find all PEI cycling contacts and quite a few local cycling suppliers there if you're interested in using this resource to better plan your rides on PEI with the latest info.

Edited: 22 June 2010, 12:31
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
589 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

Sorry, here's another one to a nonprofit, Cycling PEI. There you'll also find add'l links to Island Trails.

http://cpei.ca/links/

7. Re: Question about confederation trail . . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 05:16