We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-days PEI itinerary

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4-days PEI itinerary

We ar semi-retired couple who love natural scenery and wildlife. Wewill arrive PEI by way of the Bridge and leave for NS by ferry mid Aug. We have identied a very nice B&B at Bonshaw which we would like to base there. Can we just stay there for 4 nights to cover the whole island? If possible, we prefer not to check in and out of hotels every day.

How should I plan my scenic tour?

Any recommendations on restaurants?

Thank you.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

The great thing about PEI is its size. You can travel from end to end in a matter of a few hours! I agree, it is no fun to pack and unpack every day. By staying in a central location, you can have a great base for your visit.

Did you order your copy of the tourism guide from www.tourismpei.com ?

How you plan your scenic tour depends on your likes/dislikes. Charlottetown is the cradle of Canadian Confederation and you can tour the Confederation Center, take in a play and tour the government center as well. There is always the "Anne" factor, meaning a visit to Green Gables, Cavendish etc. Here is a list of events scheduled for early August: …tourismpei.com/festivals_events/events_sear…

At the western end of the province, is Summerside where you can putter along the waterfront in a little shopping village or just sit and admire the view. At the very tip of the province is the Cape Wind Farm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBazB5SrKhU which is interesting, but more importantly, the scenery is really stunning. You can walk along the beach and feel the strength of the wind blowing from the Strait.

Recommendations for restaurants I can't really help you with, but PEI is famous for its lobster suppers http://www.peilobstersuppers.com/

If I can offer any more assistance let me know! You will love your trip to PEI, it is a special place.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

K.C. Nova Scotia - thank you for your input.

Yes I did download the guide book. It mentioned about digging clams. My wife and I would love to do that. Any specific locations?

Since PEI is the more leisurely part of our 18 day tour in the Maritime Provinces, we want to explore if we can do salmon fishing.

Also, any specific location for bird watching?

Thanks.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

Clam digging can be a lot of fun, walking on the sand at low tide, digging and enjoying the sea air. Keep in mind that you will need something to dig with, a bucket to keep the clams in, and then you have to cook them. There are folks who will do a little tour with this in mind experiencepei.ca/experiencepei/… . You could also ask your host at the B&B for recommendations.

Bird watching on PEI is great, as you never really far from the sea, so sea birds are everywhere. Here is a link to a bird watching website: birding.com/wheretobird/princeedwardisland.a…

I know you have been getting lots of advice on the Nova Scotia forum, all pointing you in their favorite direction, so I have not added my opinion to the mix!

I would recommend for part of your New Brunswick adventure that you consider looking to the St. Martin's area of the province. This is the gateway to the Bay of Fundy experience, and the Salmon River B&B gets great reviews. In this area, you can walk on the ocean floor at low tide, explore seacaves, birdwatch, and walk the beach and enjoy the best of the Maritimes.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

1. Clams - sounds like a stupid question: walking on sand bare feet or on water which may require something like a rain boot to keep my feet warm?

2. How do you compare Alma versus St. Martins to explore Bay of Fundy?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

K.C., what about salmon fishing PEI?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

Not a stupid question at all....Some people like to wear a sandal or something to protect their feet from any sharp objects, like clam shells, etc, some like to go barefoot, and some would wear rainboots. If you click on the link I gave you to the clam experience, you will see folks doing a little of everything! Email the company and inquire as to what they recommend.

As for Alma vs St. Martins they both offer wonderful experiences for the Bay of Fundy. I don't think you could go wrong with either location. Alma is very central to many attractions, and St. Martins is also very good for the Fundy experience. St. Martins is closer to Saint John, where the Digby ferry docks, and I believe I read on the Nova Scotia forum you were planning on taking the ferry. It is really a matter of your choice, optimum lodging choices, etc. New Brunswick also has a tourism guide book you may be interested in.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

Hi SingSong1,

Welcome to the PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND FORUM.

As I say… I’ve been following your plans with much interest… and as always my Maritime TA Buddies are giving you great advice.

When we visited PEI last summer, we only spent two overnights… and it definitely wasn’t enough time… as I said in your previous CANADA FORUM topic, we had a limited amount of vacation, so we concentrated our efforts in on the central parts of the Province (PEI National Park ~ Cavendish Beach) and the North Cape Coastal Drive (the Acadian Route)… which takes one out to the North Cape and the Wind Farm that KCNOVASCOTIA spoke of above. Stunning scenery there with the red cliffs etc.

Indeed the great thing about PEI is it is sooo compact. You can most certainly work this part of your trip from a “base camp”… so you won’t have to pack up and move each day.

If one of your interests is birding (didn’t know that when I replied to your post in the ALMA TRAVEL FORUM) then you’d really appreciate that B&B that I recommended in Waterside… it was a treat to sit in the Common Room up high above the Salt Marsh and watch the wildlife scurry about the Marsh infront of us… the Owners even had Binoculars available to enhance the experience. We saw a variety of birds… during our visit… I was so impressed by the view, that I even got up very early the next morning… around sunrise to take in the view and see the tide change… (lol, a BIG Deal when one is a Night Owl like me).

As for Alma vs St Martins for accommodations… to be honest not a lot at St Martins at all… quite remote. You’d probably want to overnight in Saint John, and do St Martins enroute to the Bay of Fundy National Park. The Alma – Waterside area certainly offers a lot more in the way of accommodations and attractions at hand.

BTW, once you get closer to finalizing your Itinerary, and where you’ll be aprox when, you’ll need to check out the Tide Charts for each spot… so you know when is the optimum time to plan your visit / time of day (it can make a HUGE Difference on your Bay of Fundy experience). For example… You want to be in St Andrews for low-tide to be able to drive out on the seabed to Minister’s Island – St Martins for low-tide to walk thru the Sea Caves – and Hopewell Rocks at low-tide to walk the ocean floor around the Flower Pot formations.

Also, plan on things taking longer than you suspect… for example… we originally thought we’d spend perhaps an hour at Hopewell Rocks… I had seen them before, where Mr Wine hadn’t… so he was just so overtaken by their magnificence and the natural beauty, that we ended up spending about 2 Hours walking around them.

The NB Tourism Website is www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… As for Whale Watching there are various spots where you can do this on your trip… including The Bay of Fundy (believe my buddy EJOHN said in another topic of yours that there are Tours out of St Andrews, NB… which is a MUST SEE Area as it is). The other option is off of Cape Breton… one of my colleagues IRISH HONEYMOONERS from my part of Ontario had an excellent visit to The Maritimes last summer… you might gain from a topic that they posted in the NOVA SCOTIA FORUM when planning their trip last August entitled *Cape Breton vs Brier Island Whale Watching* = tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154967-i326-k38241…

I know that they wrote a REVIEW on it, as well as a TripReport of their adventures… you can see those items on their TA PROFILE Pages (CONTRIBUTIONS – REVIEWS and FORUM TOPICS). Hopefully they’ll see some of your FORUM Topics as you plan your trip… and come by and comment themselves.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

Sorry I missed your query regarding salmon fishing.

canada4fishing.com/PrinceEdwardIsland/salmon…

There are charters and companies who can take you out to the 'best' fishing areas, where you are most likely to catch something. Again, I would check with my hosts at the B&B for their recommendations.

I also wanted to mention in the case of clam digging on your own, that sometimes an algae known as Red Tide can cause the shellfish beds to be closed due to potential for illness. These closures are well advertised in the media, and may be posted at the beach as well. For this reason, I would recommend you take advantage of a company who is familiar with the area.

I see Wine-4-2 has given you some great advice too. We love to welcome people to Canada!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
249 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

K.C. and where would you recommend for us to go river fishing on PEI?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4-days PEI itinerary

www.gov.pe.ca/envengfor/index.php3… and foundlocally.com/charlottetown/Sports/Spo-Fi… are two links that should give you all the information you need.

When I was a child living on PEI, one of our favorite fishing holes was the Dunk River, which sadly, in the last few years has been the site of a dam collapse and also a large fish kill.

The people in the areas you plan on visiting should be able to tell you more, along with the tourism pei guide book