We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to base?

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
best place to base?

My family (four of us) will be first-time travelers to the Maritimes in July and we'll have two weeks to bounce around: Fundy, PEI, Cape Breton, Halifax, etc. We have three nights max in PEI ; is there a slam-dunk base of operations? Murray Harbour seems intriguing because it's quiet, but is it too far SE to explore all of the island? Cavendish seems a little touristy, and the children are boys, so they no nothing of Anne. We looking for lodging that’s clean, comfortable, reasonably priced, etc. Any ideas? (PS: I'm still waiting for the brochure I requested from peitourism)

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to base?

One of the best things about PEI is it size. You can travel from one end to the other in an hour. So finding a base of operations is not that difficult.

A lot of folks like to be around the Cavendish area, or around the Charlottetown area, especially for a first visit.

Depending on what you are looking for in lodging, do you want a pool for the boys or are you planning on going to the beaches?

I can personally recommend the Cairns motel in Summerside. We stayed there a couple of yrs ago and it was great, and clean, clean, clean! www.cairnsmotel.net and also the one directly across the street which is called Clark's Sunny Isle motel also gets great ratings on Trip Advisor. www.sunnyislemotel.com . Both of these are very reasonably priced.

If Murray Harbour seems intriguing to you, by all means check it out. There are no wrong answers!

I would recommend you make reservations fairly quickly though. PEI in July is busy and great lodgings book up quickly!

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to base?

"You can travel from one end to the other in an hour" I hope you are saying this in jest or have forgotten the "s" on hour LOL. Minimum 3 hour drive from end to end unless you know of a secret route I haven't found in the 40 years I've lived here

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to base?

RoadTrip4Fun

Thanks for picking that mistake up. I was so busy looking for typing mistakes I missed that one. Meant to say Summerside to Charlottetown in an hr.

Don't think it mattered much to this traveller, never heard back from them! But it would matter to someone else reading the post.

Thanks again.

KC

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to base?

K.C. you'd be surprised how many people, other than the original poster, read posts. I've spent several hours today reading the Atlanta forum just gathering info for an upcoming trip in a couple of weeks. Just got back from Florida and didn't have internet for a week so I have to get caught up on TA .

Totally understand the typo situation LOL

You always have great advice for PEI travellers keep up the good work

RT4F

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to base?

sorry for the delay in getting back. it is so unfair when work calls. thanks to all for the assistance. we decided to spend our three nights in a cottage up near cavendish, in part because of the many fine reviews on tripadvisor and in part because the innkeeper has been so helpful.

so the plans are coming together nicely -- two nights at fundy followed by three nights on pei, then a night to be determined -- murray harbour? margaree harbor? cheticamp? -- before two nights on cape breton in ingonish before heading toward halifax.

Texas
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to base?

thisvanwilltravel,

Could you le me know which cottage do you finally choose? I am looking for a cottage on PEI..

Thanks!

biker

7. Re: best place to base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 02:17