We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days?

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
52 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
How many days?

I'm looking to fly to Prince Edward Island next year in early July. How many days should I plan on spending there if I'd like to explore the entire island? 4 days? 5? 6? Appreciate the feedback!

Also, if I stay in one B&B near Charlottetown the entire time, is it easy to get around the island and back to Charlottetown each night?

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Iguazu National Park
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days?

Hi PA!

There is no place on Prince Edward Island more than 95 miles from Charlottetown. Not only that, but while you may want to drive to the extremities, North Cape in the far northwest of the island, and East Point, just to say you've done it, most of the things that interest a tourist are within an hour radius of Charlottetown.

The roads you'll wish to drive are all paved two-lane undivided highway. There's no freeway at all. (There's only 140,000 people on the entire island.) In most places outside built-up areas the speed limit is 50 mph, except along rural sections of Route 2, the chief east-west highway, which will be 55.

Others will tell you about the grand attractions, and you've probably seen material about them already. I prefer to whisper tips about the treasures that somehow got left out of the guide books, perhaps due to editing error.

Such as the Greenwich enclave of Prince Edward Island National Park. You may have read about the beaches in the central section of the national park. The Greenwich enclave is a different location, 35 miles northeast of Charlottetown, about 5 miles west of the little town of St. Peters.

At Greenwich, you walk about a half-hour from the parking area. The path leads to a sand-dune-created lake, one that you cross by a long floating bridge. Then you climb the last dune to a point where you break through to the ocean. It's a fascinating walk.

Another is Green Park, on Route 12 about 55 miles from Charlottetown, or 25 miles north from Summerside, the second-biggest town on the Island. Green Park is the location of a historic house, located on a beautiful property that's now a provincial park. Crowds flock to the Green Gables house north of Charlottetown, but few venture to this one, which I think is the prettier, off the beaten track in the western part of the island.

Happy travels!

David

capetien10@gmail.com

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
978 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days?

Are you just planning to sightsee or do you have particular interests? Are you just coming to PEI or are you continuing on to other areas ie. Nova Scotia? As reference for driving it takes 1 hour to get from downtown Charlottetown to Summerside

Make sure you order a PEI visitors guide to help with your trip planning

http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days?

We were in PEI for five nights in June, staying at a Charlottetown B&B each night. Because we arrived late afternoon on the first day, we had only four full days to explore. In retrospect, six nights and five days would have been better.

Despite the relatively, short distances, we found that it took longer to travel to places than we anticipated. Traffic slows down going through towns and, on several occasions, when driving between towns, we found ourselves behind farming machinery being moved from one field to another. We didn't get to each of the capes and thought that, at least for the north cape drive, it would have been better if we had stayed somewhere west of Charlottetown as it would have been a very long day from Charlottetown and there would have been a lot to explore on the way there and back.

As suggested, order the PEI visitors guide. The guide, and the accompanying map, were so helpful.

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
52 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days?

Appreciate the tips thus far! I think I'm leaning towards flying in on a Monday (flight will get there at 6 PM) and then driving to Summerside to stay at a B&B for 3 nights and then spend the next 2 days exploring that town and the area west of it. Then spend the next 3 nights in Charlottetown and those days (3.5 days) exploring that area, the North side (Cavendish & PEI National Park) and the East side of the island.

Any suggestions on B&B's in Charlottetown and Summerside?

Also, the flight I'm looking at in July of next year is currently at $640 with 1 Stop (Philly to Charlottetown). Any insight into the average price for this flight would be appreciated. I think I'm going to try and wait until it comes down to around $500/person.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days?

We were very happy at the Heritage Harbour House Inn for all five nights in Charlottetown-

http://www.hhhouse.net/

However, take a look at the TA reviews for Charlottetown accommodation. Perhaps something else would also suit your needs/budget.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g155023-Charlottetow…

(Note that the Heritage Harbour House has been put into the "hotel" category, presumably because of the number of rooms (22).)

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
978 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days?

Not sure which airline you are flying with but $640 is reasonable. I fly out of Ch'town several times a year to the USA and anything $600 ish is good. Also make sure you keep an eye on rental car rates as July/Aug are prime season

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
52 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days?

The airline I'm looking at is Air Canada. They seem the only to fly from Philly without doing a mixed-airline itinerary.

For the rental car, right now I'm seeing the cheapest being Hertz at about C$300 for a week, which seems reasonable to me.

Charlottetown, PE
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days?

Howdy all.

My name is Mike. I own and operate Heritage Harbour House, and I want to take this time to thank Itchyfeet for recommending us.

To GNR: If you're looking for a slightly better rental deal than Hertz is providing you, I recommend Enterprise. The local office in Charlottetown provides great deals to customers of mine (just call them at (902) 894-5004, and ask about the Heritage Harbour House discount.)

David and Itchyfeet's advice is sound, but if you want anymore questions answered, just let me know, you can email me: mike at hhhouse dot net

Cheers

Mike

Innkeeper

Heritage Harbour House inn.

Toronto, Canada
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How many days?

I think you're really going to enjoy PEI! I just came back from a week (6 nights) there and it was a wonderful holiday.

The scale of PEI is very different than what a city girl like me is used to. Even the larger towns are quite small. It's relaxing and refreshing but it means it takes less time than you think to see a town or drive any distance.

Also, the western and eastern parts of the island are quite rural - there may be less to see and fewer restaurants to enjoy than you anticipate. (I spent 2 nights in the Cavendish/Rustico area and that felt quite busy compared to the 2 nights I spent on the eastern side of the island.)

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed Basin Head Beach and Greenwich National Park walking trail. Rustico was very quaint with a good beach nearby. Charlottetown had lots of interesting shops and restaurants. I didn't spend any time on the western side and only stopped in Summerside for lunch, so I can't comment there.

One more thought - plan for cool weather. I lucked out with a week of hot sunshine in August but apparently that was very unusual this summer.

10. Re: How many days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Prince Edward Island