We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PEI in late May

boston
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
PEI in late May

Two geezers are planning a trip to NS beginning about MAY 20th.

We like the great outdoors, beautiful scenery,etc, but don't want to spend the whole trip in a car (we know we will be in the car way long enough driving up there from Portsmouth, NH) I'm thinking a couple of days/nights on PEI, then up to Cape Bretton for another 2-3 days/nights. Maybe try for a view of the great tides somewhere along the Bay of Fundy before the long ride back to NH. We both can do walking/easy hiking and both love any beach, any time whether sitting at a beachfront bar (dives are OK)

having a glass of wine, or beachcombing, or taking pictures from cliffsides. Weather in late May? Is this mid season or off season) We are on a modest buget, not interested in "gourmet" experiences or city sights. Suggestions??

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PEI in late May

Hi there proflee. May is a pretty good month to visit PEI but certainly not in the peak season by any means. Peak season really is from late June-Late Aug. Right now the beaches are covered in ice but by May that should all be gone so you will be more than capable of walking at least. I live on PEI and I've gone to the beach numerous times around May and had some great pictures. None of the parks and beaches are open by which I mean simply you don't have to pay to get in as you would during the summer months. Unfortunately no swimming that time of year unless you are really brave guys lol. I would suggest you spend at least one night in Charlottetown, if not two, and another someplace more scenic if that is your style. There are some great B&Bs in the country and have some pretty nice landscapes and you should get a good price as it won't be peak season. Check out the Firedance Inn in St. Catherine's which is about 20-30 minutes from Charlottetown and a really nice area to drive around. I have stayed there for a weekend and it has a great view of the St. Catherine's river, rolling hills and the owner is really friendly and serves a great breakfast. http://www.firedanceinn.ca/

In Charlottetown there is a lot more to do. There are lots of great restaurants and some good shows playing at the Confederation Centre of The Arts. Also a great city to just walk around, not huge so most of the sights are within walking distance. I'd suggest for dining on a budget check out the Pilot House, I eat there on a regular basis and the prices are very reasonable with great food and service. Also the Gahan House, which is a 100+year old building and working brewery, is another good option. If you like fish and chips or curry you have to check out the Churchill Arms which is a British style pub. Biggest serving of fish and chips I've ever eaten and absolutely deliscious with home cut fries. The curry is also amazing and a local favourite. Avoid Sims Steakhouse if you are on a budget. Good food but grossly overpriced($25 for 2 scallops). It is a total tourist trap in my opinion. May isn't a bad time to come here but a lot of the places won't open until June so that will limit your options a bit. Anything else just ask. Cheers

2. Re: PEI in late May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 10:19