We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

I am looking to spend a week in the summer relaxing in PEI. Where is the best place to stay that is still civilized but relaxing? What would you recommend that I see/do with respect to tourist attractions?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,009 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Hi

all of PEI is civilized (-: it depends what level of civilized you expect after Regina!!! (I lived in Regina for a year so i figure I have earned the right to be sarcastic :-))

Charlottetown is even slower than Regina so I would look there since day trips to anywhere on the Island is not more than 100 km.

A trip to Canvendish/North Rustico area is a must with a walk on the sand dunes and the beach. It is about a 6-7 hour driving excursion in and out of Charlottetown. Downtown Charlottetown and a visit to the Parliament building where the confederation was signed was interesting and the seafood restaurants did not disappoint.

We stayed at the Delta during our last visit; it is well located for walking around the downtown area.

cheers from a relocated Maritimer.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Hi Melmae and welcome to the PEI forums.

I would say just about anywhere on PEI you'll be able to find somewhere both civilized and relaxing. If it's cities you are looking for, Charlottetown is the provincial capital and offers the most amenities concentrated in close proximity. Summerside is smaller yet has much to offer as well.

I would suggest if you are interested in touring all of the Island you must have a car. There are 3 coastal drives that will cover the whole of PEI http://www.tourismpei.com/pei-scenic-drives. A week will give you plenty of time to see all.

Depending on what you enjoy, you are likely to find plenty to see and do. If you like beaches, there are many all around the Island. If you like the bar scene or theatre and dining out then Charlottetown is the place to be. If water parks and touristy type attractions or Anne of Green Gables is of interest then head on up to Cavendish where there is a concentration of all those things as well as beaches. If you want to kick back and enjoy the beauty of nature, that can be found anywhere on PEI.

If you want to give us an idea of what type of things interest you we can provide more specifics. Do visit the PEI Tourism site, it's a wealth of info and a good starting point. http://www.tourismpei.com/index.php3

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Ditto the above posters. You would have to give us a better idea as to what type of location you are looking for. As Monacd said if you want an urban atmosphere(or as close to one as PEI can offer) than Charlottetown is your best bet and everything is within driving distance. Charlottetown really is ideal as it is almost right in the middle of the island, hence why many people use it as a base for exploring the Island. If you are able to narrow down what you are looking for with your vacation I am sure you will get a bunch of good suggestions. Cheers

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,782 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

As an almost teenager when I left the Island I am returning with my wife for the first time in 57 years. We're staying in a B&B in C'town and will be doing our daily excursions from there. I'm figuring couple of full days, including time for Old Home Week, for C'town; couple of days for the East Coastal Drive; couple days for Stanhope/Rustico/Cavendish and one for Summerside. We may have to do some fine tuning to the above once we get there as I want to see my old house, cottage, school, church, etc. I was never interested in Anne while I lived there nor ever since, nor has my wife so we may just sort of drive quickly by that particular area. Still interested in the beaches though and that and scenery/farms/lighthouses, etc will be our big focus. Been in the room, they might even have let us sit in the chairs back then but that's kind of foggy, where all our founding fathers met so not sure if that will be a must do. Hopefully we'll manage to take in the downtown light show at least once, take in some ceilidhs and just have a great time. Doubt we'll get much rest and in hindsight we should have booked longer.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Hi Melmae21,

Welcome to the PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND TRAVEL FORUM

And I see you are NEW to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

The great thing about PEI is that it is a small and friendly Province… at just over 2000 Square Miles in Size (aprox 125 Miles Long and about 20 Miles Wide). So no where is really very far from anywhere else.

GOOGLE MAPS (Prince Edward Island) = http://g.co/maps/gnfgv

NOTE - With the map above, you can zoom in and out for more detail... as well as playing with locations and calculating times & distances (by car, walking, cycling etc)… and also use the Satellite & Street Views to “see” things first hand, and get feel for the lay-of-the-land

The primary industries of PEI are fishing & farming, and tourism. It is a very popular summer destination (Cottages, B&Bs, Country Inns, Beaches, Golfing, Sightseeing). There are indeed an assortment of accommodations throughout the island, but the best selection will certainly be found in around the two bigger “city centres” Charlottetown and Summerside… but quite honestly there are B&Bs and Cottages EVERYWHERE !!

PEI’s charm is in its incredible scenery, small towns, and coastline, as well as her friendly people. You'll find that some of the B&Bs and Country Inns, sprinkled across the island have gorgeous settings, great food and comfortable furnishings (what is commonly known as East Coast Antiques... a sort of country meets beach cottage mix).

When we visit, we don’t worry so much about WHERE we are centred, because in the end, we tend to get around a good part of the island anyhow on our day trips. Cavendish, North Rustico and the Stanhope area are certainly popular (due to their proximity to the Prince Edward Island National Park).

Also, you’ll want to note that water temperature on the Island can vary greatly… a lot depends on WHERE you are, and from which direction the wind is blowing etc (land to water, or water to land). Generally speaking the “Atlantic side” is going to be colder than the Northumberland Strait side (it being a smaller body of water, and more shallow). But no worries… the distance across the island in the middle (Charlottetown to North Rustico is aprox 32 Kms / 20 Miles… and about 40 Minutes)… so you can easily change spots as your hearts desire.

As the others have said, you’ll want to check out PEI Tourism’s Official Website = www.tourismpei.com … BUT also make a point of ordering a hard copy of their Official Guide “PEI the Gentle Island”… it is chocked full of info, and gorgeous photos… you can learn a lot and be “inspired” at the same time

Truly the great thing about a PEI vacation, is you can do TONS or you can do NAUGHT, and still have an amazing time. Enjoy !!

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Do plan on getting your fill of the AMAZING Freshly Caught Seafood... you won't find anything like it back home... lol, after each visit it takes us literally months before we can go back to eating what is passed off as "Fresh" Fish & Seafood here at home... it just isn't anywhere nearly the same.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Wine 4-2 - Thank you for posting that map... it's really great! I would also like to say Thank You for all the information you've posted here and on another thread about PEI... we are going to be visiting PEI and NFLD for 2 weeks in July, so I'm reading as much as I can here on TA and elsewhere... You've provided a lot of very valuable information! Forums are such a great way to get information on any destination... Thanks again for your contributions!

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

I should have rephrased that! Your right, all of PEI is civilized!! Thanks for your input :)

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

Thank you for your reply.... I am interested in seeing the beaches and doing some biking and just plain old relaxing.. would Summerside or Charlottetown be a better base for this?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

In my personal opinion Charlottetown would be the better base for what you want to do. Lots of great sights and restaurants in Charlottetown and one of the best places to bike on PEI is at Brackley Beach, about 15 minutes from Charlottetown. There is a paved bike path that goes for miles and miles. You will be riding along sand dunes to your left and water to your right for most of the way. It is an absolutely beautiful bike ride. You will pass Covehead which is a small little seasonal fishing harbour along the way and you can stop off for lunch at a little restaurant there that has a deck that allows for great panoramic views of the surrounding area. The beaches there are also beautiful and among the best on PEI.

There is also great biking up in Cavendish which also has beautiful beaches. The Island is such a scenic place that really anywhere you go you will find nice places. I tend to find the beaches on the North shore just quite a bit nicer than those on the South. Just my personal opinion. Charlottetown is right in the middle of PEI and I feel is the best place to explore from and the most to do. Not knocking Summerside but it doesn't even compare as far as sights and nightlife are concerned. Some may disagree with my assessment but as an Islander myself I can tell you the opinion is pretty widely accepted. Good luck.

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do I go if I have a week to spend in PEI

While I do respect that most night life can be found in Charlottetown it is my belief that the more rustic places are away from the central part. Go on a road trip and see the fishing villages at either end of PEI and visit some rural places like Victoria by the Sea, Northport, West Point, Miminegash, Tignish Shore, Malpeque, Basin Head, East Point to name a few. Having lived here all my life I can tell you that we welcome "people from away" with open arms. Come enjoy our Island and its hospitality! Great vacationing!!