We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Just looking to see if any families visit these islands with their children that are 10-15? Getting the impression that it is a place for the older crowd. What is the ferry ride like?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Sorry I don't meant to be rude but didn't you already have a post going about the Magdalen Islands and get all these answers? tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155022-i619-k5465…

Sounds to me like you really want to go but you don't want your son to be bored. If you want to go that badly I would just go and I am sure he'll still be fine. Might not be terribly interesting to him but he will have decent beaches and get to experience a difference place. I said my piece in the other post, I suspect you're wanting to go and looking for reassurance. In the end the decision is your's alone to make. Good luck.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

You sound like you know me. Thank you, you are pretty much correct. This was going to be my highlight of our trip I thought. But.... so many people say don't go and there are a handful that say you must. It's the long ferry ride that is really bothering me, time spent doing that may take time away from other things and I am just so unsure on what to do. So I guess I just needed re-assurance from somebody that had taken kids my age there. Sorry to be a nuisance on here.

Thank you

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Not a nuisance QuestVancouver, I completely understand. Just wanted to clarify and maybe help you come to a decision. I wasn't trying to offend you by what I said and it is no bother for you to ask. If it were me I would just go, you only live once. Long ferry ride but good scenery. I have nothing against the Magdalen Island don't get me wrong. I just gave my personal two cents. It is beautiful just like PEI, I just find there is little else to do but the beach. I went on lots of detours I found boring with my parents growing up, I am sure he would survive :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Hi again, I remember your post. You said it was an extension of PEI, correct? Aren't the beaches there suppose to be white sand and PEI does not have that? Isn't seeing all the colorful houses a site to see? I just thought it being so french speaking and a different culture it might be interesting for my son. How did you feel about the long ferry ride? I am sure that is extremely boring.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

To me the beaches at both are very similar. Look at these two pics, can you tell me if they are both Magdalen Islands, one of each, or both PEI?

questnaturetours.com/resources/images/trips/…

and

johnsylvester.com/lightbox/…PEI-BC-114.09.jpg

Not to mention the sand here in PEI is as close to white as you're going to get. Have a look at Basin Head

scotiapuzzles.com/pei/…200060.jpg

Houses look cool, in all honesty though do you think an 11 year old cares about stuff like that as grown adults would? lol. Just saying.......Culture is a little different but again......

I felt the ferry ride was VERY long. I can take a plane from Charlottetown to Cuba in 4 hours and that is bad enough compared to a ferry.

But that's just me, a snobby Islander ;) Everyone has their own tastes and you might completely love it.

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

You know, you just have to make a decision and not hum and haw about it. In the end you'll either have a good time or you won't. If you think the ferry trip is going to be too long for the time you're there don't do it. But your son might love it. As a kid we spent ALL our time on the beach. It's kind of like spending all day in airports/planes for a couple of days holidays. To me it's not worth it and that's why we do 2 weeks each winter in Mexico rather than one. Even now I'm trying to figure out how I can see PEI in a week and I don't think I can. And there's two full days wasted getting to and from The Island. A friend visited The Island a couple years ago on a tour bus - probably left Fredericton in the morning arrived around noon to Anne of Green Gables, then to Charlottetown for dinner, quick look at the birth of Confederation and then back on the bus to NB. Yup, saw The Island in a day and a half.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to get to the north end but we'll see. Maybe it means we'll have to do another trip. LOL

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Couldn't have said it better myself bob, exactly my point.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

First photo was PEI, 2nd photo was Magdalen, correct? Okay, I know have to just make a decision. Thank you again. May have more questions later regarding PEI if that is okay.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

Backwards Quest lol. First photo is Magdalen's and 2nd is PEI. That's kind of my point, almost the same thing. Good luck on your decision and yes absolutely feel free to come back and ask questions.

Elkton, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are the Magdalen Islands only for adults? Do tweens go ther

So here's the deal, you said this was going YOUR highlight of the vacation. Going on vacations with a family, is all about compromise. And when planning a vacation, we always ask our kids one thing they want to do and make sure we do it. My point is, do you plan on ever going back to PEI? If you don't hop to the Magdelan, will you be bummed about it the whole time and wish you were going? If you really want to go, then go. Yes it's a long ferry ride, yes it's expensive, to us, it's not worth it, but for someone else it might be. It also is my understanding that the ferry ride has a bit of entertainment. Just be sure to have something to keep all of you entertained as well, card game, DVD player... If I was in your shoes, seems like you really want to go, I would just do it, especially if I don't ever plan on going back to PEI, this might be your one and only chance. You might be disappointed, but you'll never know. May I suggest adding a day to your trip if you will do the crossing, then it might not be so bad. Also, since you would be doing YOUR highlight, make sure the rest of the family has a highlight as well, especially for your son. That's my 2 cents ;) Good luck with your decision.