We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

We are heading to PEI in July for 4-6 days. I've been looking through these forums trying to plan our trip out.

I noticed a couple of people mention surfing in Summerside. Does anyone know of there are lessons for kids and adult beginners?

Also, I have heard a lot of people saying to bike confederation trail and other places.

Do any of these places have bikes to rent for kids and adults?

Any other biking trail suggestions?

Thanks for any help

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

samgirl3

You may wish to contact PEI tourism at www.tourismpei.com/index.php3…

Hopefully they can answer your questions.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

If you are looking for the usual type of surfing, Summerside is not a location for good surfing. Kite boarding or sail boarding certainly but I don't know of anyone that rents boards of any kind in Summerside. If you want good surfing, Lawrencetown Beach in Nova Scotia is apparently one of the best spots on the east coast of North America.

The Confederaztion trail is indeed a great trail for cycling. There's no fighting traffic, the trails are fairly level as they used to be train rail beds and you can get some pretty nice views from the trail.

Again, I'm not aware of anyone in Summerside that rents bikes. Last summer there was someone renting segways, haven't heard if they'll be back this summer. Depending upon where you'll be staying I'd check with them and see if they have bikes available for guests or know of somewhere that does. There are a few other places around the Island that offer rentals or cycling tours. …tourismpei.com/search/…

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

We have a family cottage very close to Summerside (my Dad's home town), so I am quite familiar with the area. I was very surprised to read that people might put "surfing" and "Summerside" it the same sentence, because the water in the area is usually pretty calm. On the south shore, Northumberland Strait between PEI and New Brunswick is only about 14 km across, so it's quite sheltered. There are some days when there is barely a ripple in the water, although usually there is a bit of swell. The roughest days are usually when it is cold and stormy... not days you would want to be in the water anyway.

We always look forward to "wave bashing" days at the cottage so that we can go out and play in the waves. On my last visit to the cottage, for two weeks two summers ago, we didn't have a single day like that. Hopefully there will be this summer when I am there for a visit. :)

The water is rougher on the north shore of the island - the Gulf of St. Lawrence side; I would hazard a guess that any surfing done in PEI would be there.

Summerside, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

Bike Rentals for all ages from twofish bike co. - peibikerentals.ca

5. Re: Summerside surfing? Bike rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:17