We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
First Visit

Hi,

My husband, myself, our 19-year-old son, and my mother are planning a trip to PEI this June, probably around the 8th or *maybe* a week later, for somewhere between 3 and 7 days. None of us are much into swimming, although canoeing is a definite option. Our son likes to hike, with his camera, "off the beaten track;" are there possibilities in that direction? My mother is interested mostly in beachcombing, so - odd question maybe - are there seashells on the beaches? (NW Florida, for instance, is not very good for seashell collecting, although the white sand is beautiful.) I am looking into getting a rental cottage right on a beach - there seem to be quite a few open at this time of year, but I am still trying to decide between the southern side and northern side...any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ranee

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit

The water is still going to be quite cool in mid June...I was in pEI in late June two years ago and it was freezing! You can still enjoy yourself with the scenery and such, but no swimming almost for sure...

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit

Welcome to the Prince Edward Island forums snooray. Is June set in stone or are you flexible with your travel dates. tdsuperstar is not wrong in saying that June isn't the best month to visit weather wise. It is a transition month between spring and summer. Without a wet suit I don't know how feasible canoeing or kayaking would be. I've lived in Prince Edward Island for over 25 years and I can tell you I wouldn't even consider it an option personally as it would be very cold. Your son however won't have any issues exploring with his camera and will get some great shots. He can walk the Confederation Trail(where we once had train tracks and now runs from one end to the other). Really beautiful off the beaten path type of sights and I am always surprised when I walk it to see some beautiful sights that I've lived 5 minutes from and never seen. Also some great provincial parks he could hike around to get some great shots. I am sorry to say but the beach again will be cold this time of year and you won't find much for shells except maybe mussel and clam shells. Florida is in a tropical environment where there is a lot more diversity in sea life so you will find colourful big shells. You walk our beaches and as I said you will see lots of sandstone, mussel/clam shells, maybe a bit of sea glass, and the old lobster or crab shell.

Not trying to sound bleak but June just isn't the best month for a visit if you like doing the stuff you mentioned. You come to PEI in the off season for sightseeing and good food(lobster season). You come in season if you want the good weather and would like to be a bit more active. If July is a possibility I would go then, August though probably being the prime month.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 15:02
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit

July and August are just not doable for us. The most we could do is not show up till around the 15th of June. We don't want to swim, so the water temps really do not matter. The hiking sounds great!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit

Beachcombing for sea glass in Souris could yield some interesting finds.

Wild Fire Gifts - 100 Main St. in Souris can give you information on the best places to look and wire wrap your finds into one of a kind jewelery.

wildfiregifts.weebly.com/photos--facts.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit

We like sea glass - I will certainly put Souris on the list!

Fishers, IN
Level Contributor
276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit

I was able to find sea glass when we stayed on the north shore near east point a couple years ago. The north shore may be a little cooler than the south if it is windy (and you are directly on the beach).

We have stayed at Shipwatch Dunes and Naufrage Lighthouse rented by Pat Hayes http://beachhousespei.com/beach_houses.html - have also been inside Champagne Vista and it has some great views.

Toronto, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit

Many people say no to June because the ocean is not as warm. However if spending the day swimming and sun bathing at the beach is not your top priority then June is a lovely month. I travelled to PEI last year for my son's wedding and we stayed an extra week after the wedding. It was lovely.

We stayed in Brackley Beach in a cottage with a canoe....lenrose cottage. We used the canoe everyday...the bay water was warmer than the ocean. We did go to the beach some days but yes we didn't swim but we did spend the day there.

We found lots of walking trails in the National Park.

The best thing about June is that the rates are a lot cheaper than in July and August.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit

Souris is a great area. We rented a cottage near Souris for 5 days about 2 years ago. We had a great time. The beach was as nice as any beach I've seen....I found a sand dollar but shelling was not nearly what it is in Florida.

Perhaps if you google "PEI cottages for rent" you can get something nice before things get booked up. About 15 kms from Souris you will find Basin Head which is a great park in itself with a great beach and a neat little museum that tells the history of the area. You also have the opportunity to walk on the singing sands at Basin Head and the entire Souris area....the singing sands are a very rare thing. When you walk on the sand it squeaks.

You also have the opportunity to take a ferry from Souris to the Magdalen Islands for a night or two. This would be like taking a step back in time. Remember, it's mostly French speaking but it's a great little getaway.

The area near Souris is kind of off the beaten track and not touristy at all but has much to offer to a family just lookig to kick back and relax.

Here is a link for the ferry to the Magdalen Islands.....

ctma.ca/traversier-madeleine/cruise-601-sche…

Edited: 22 February 2013, 22:00
Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit

I agree that the June water temperature will not be warm enough for swimming, but it will certainly be warm enough that you will be able to wade in to launch canoes or kayaks. We have a rental cottage on the Eastern shore and we generally take the kayaks out in mid to late May when we are there getting the place ready. You will want to do that in a more protected river, cove. or bay as you won't want waves splashing on you. The morning is usually the calmest time on the water.

One benefit of being there in June is that it's lobster season on the North and Eastern parts of the island so you will be able to go to your local fishing port and buy your lobsters fresh off the boat!

An activity that I'd also suggest is to go horseback riding with Circle T in Lakeside (close to Crowbush). Take the 90 minute ride which takes you on to the ocean beach!

You will be a little early for some of the other attractions, but you should get a copy (also on-line) of the Buzz, it's the free monthly island-wide "whats-going-on-newspaper". Ceildihs are a fun time if they have started by then.

I hope you have a great time, enjoy the scenery and the friendly people. For us it seems like time slows down when we are on the island.

10. Re: First Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:16