We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Hello,

My partner and I are planning to spend a week or so on PEI in June. We want to play a lot of golf, maybe do some cycling as well. We are driving up from New York City and hope to find a peaceful and relaxing location to get away from our busy urban life.

I know there are a lot of golf packages available. I am wondering if they are worth it or if we would be better off to find a nice cottage or B&B and reserving golf rounds separately. I am also wondering if the hotel options with the golf packages are maybe not as nice/comfortable as some other options might be.

I truly have no idea where to stay. I'd like to stay in a beautiful and elegant location. Proximity to children is not necessarily a plus as we are just a couple and are not really looking to spend our vacation around kids. Access to the shore is a plus but not a necessity. A place with grounds where I can spend a relaxing day in a garden with a book would be nice. Access to a nearby restaurant/bar/pub where we can have a drink in the evening would also be nice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
475 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

It sounds like you are looking for a quiet slow-paced time.....for that I would suggest a cottage vs a hotel, or perhaps a smaller inn or B&B. Since golfing and cycling are the priority, I recommend doing some research:

http://www.golfpei.ca/

and pick the courses you want to play. Use that to narrow down the general geographic location. As for cycling, the Confederation trail spans much of the island which gives you lots of opportunities if you are bringing bikes or renting a cottage that includes them.

Your request is a bit of a hybrid as you want somewhat rural but close to a village. From your post, I would suggest the following areas: Victoria by the Sea, Georgetown, St Peters, Rustico. With that being said, I couldn't argue with lots of other towns/villages that others may suggest. The beauty of PEI is that there is no one special place, before building our cottage, we enjoyed vacations in multiple locations.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Rustico would be a great locale, mind you, most of PEI ensures that an ideal location is not that far away!

Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Check out Dalvay By The Sea (PEI National Park - north shore) or The Inn at Bay Fortune (east coast) websites for elegant dining and accommodation experiences. Loved them both.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

It's been a few years since we've golfed in PEI...we don't like to pre-pay golf in case it rains so we booked/paid as we went. We stayed in the Dalvay by the Sea area on 2 trips and loved it. Dalvay wasn't open on our trips as we were there early in mid June (that may have changed). Many golf courses to choose from so you may want to do some research, it's not inexpensive to play the big name/nicest courses but we did play some really nice courses. Depending on how you feel about driving it's easy to play from Mill River to Brudanell. PEI is wonderfully relaxing ... we played 1 round a day and then visited or just relaxed for the rest of the day. We had a great dinner at The Inn at Bay Fortune.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
475 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Last year we stopped by Dalvay-by-the-Sea in very late May while we were on the island painting our cottage. We were suprised that it was open, we enjoyed some drinks on a chilly day in front of one of their large fireplaces! I just checked their website, they open (for accomodations) on June 1st 2014. Even if not staying there, you should stop by for a drink, a meal, or High Tea!

Edited: 23 February 2014, 14:26
Pembroke, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Sticky date pudding at Dalvay is wonderful!!!

Fishers, IN
Level Contributor
295 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Inn at Bay Fortune and Inn at St. Peters are both nice inns with restaurants and peaceful settings. Higher end so probably not many kids. Close to Brudnell and Crowbush Cove. 45 mins or so to Glasgow Hills/Green Gables.

Brudnell Chalets is very close to Brudnell/Dundarave and close to Montague and Cardigan where there are quite a few restaurants. More choices than St. Peters area. Maybe be more kids though..haven't stayed there but have rented a house from person who owns them. http://www.brudenellchalets.com/main.html

Have also rented houses from here before too. http://beachhousespei.com/beach_houses.html

Edited: 25 February 2014, 22:09
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

Nothing is too far away on the Island. You might try Penderosa Beach Cottages - restaurants a short drive away, in either direction. Excellent beach and quiet. Fabulous place to stay.

Morell, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

HI there

Probably too late for your holiday planning this year, but in future why not try our place waterside on St. Peters Bay - www.vrbo.com/555303 OR www.mckfolly.com It's for two adults - quiet, polished, adjacent to walking and biking Trail, beaches and golf 10 mins. away, some interesting local dining venues, 35 mins. from Charlottetown city life.

Welcome!

10. Re: Planning a couples' getaway on PEI in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 05:15