We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in PEI

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in PEI

Hi

I am a single guy who is on a day visit to PEI of HAL Maasdam on 26th August 2014. The ship is scheduled to dock at 08:00am and scheduled to depart @ 5pm.

I would like to do a bike ride and am happy to consider an organised and hosted day tour or hiring a bike and making my own way. I note with interest that a recommendation for the most scenic section of the Confederation Trail is:

Cycle the Very Best of the Confederation Trail - Taxi to Morell, cycle to St Peters and Greenwich National Park, return taxi (30.1km)

I am concerned about the cost as a single person for an each way taxi ride (in a vehicle equipped to take a bike) to get to the start and finish. Also was interested in feedback as to how long you feel to allocate for this trip as I would like to be back at the ship by 4pm for the 5pm sailing.

Whilst I appreciate a bike hire company's role is not to put ad-hoc groups together I was interested in an assessment as to whether there may be sufficient interest to link a small group of disparate riders together to help share the taxi costs.

Another question I had was an assessment of alternative scenic cycling route options near Charlottetown that would exclude the need to fund taxi transfers.

Kind Regards

Geoff Annabel

Sydney Australia

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in PEI

Some thoughts on logistics for a day of cycling:

Morell/ St. Peters / Greenwich would be a lovely place to cycle as the trail has views to St. Peter's Bay . But it would involve the time and cost of a taxi as there is no public transportation.

Kingfisheroutdoors.com located in the old train station in Morell rents bikes so you (and your companions) would not have to find a taxi that could also accommodate bikes. Kingfisher also does kayak tours along the Morell river. I'm not sure you would have time to do both but having both as options might make it easier to find traveling companions

Another option is starting your bike tour in Charlottetown, eliminating the cost and time for the taxi ride.

tourismpei.com/cycling-itinerary/charlotteto…

This tour takes you to Mount Stewart along the North side of the Hillsborough River and back to Charlottetown along the South side.

Another option would be to follow the directions above as far as Brackley or York and then make your way north to the National Park and ride the Gulf shore parkway.

enjoy

2. Re: Cycling in PEI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 05:16