We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

We are arriving in Charlottetown on July 29 and want to rent a car. Would it be better to book it ahead or pick one up when we arrive? Past experience has shown us that you don't always get what you reserve anyway! On a trip to Chicago we reserved an Intrepid and got a Durango!

I know that Charlottetown is much smaller and maybe it won't be a problem, but we don't want to get stuck without one, either!

thanks

Ontario
Level Contributor
93 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

We rented a car last year from Discount. Did so over the internet and got a very good rate.

If you have coverage for a rental vehicle on your own car insurance you must bring a copy of this certificate to the rental company. We received excellent service and an excellent car (many upgrades from the compact we reserved).

Personally I would not want to wait till I arrived to rent a car. It is the middle of a very busy tourist season. It would be a shame to miss a day.

Enjoy the island. It's just beautiful!

Alberta
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

Thanks for that, Marbella50, I think I will have a look at Discount today and see what we can get. Our plans have changed slightly in that relatives will be picking us up from the airport when we arrive, but that just means the car rental can start a day later, right? I hope we can get an upgrade, too.

thanks - and we will enjoy the island for sure. Last time I was there is was November, not the greatest time!

Ontario
Level Contributor
93 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

You're welcome!

If you have the time and are in the area, take in some theatre in Charlottetown . It is first rate!

Charlottetown, PE
Level Contributor
319 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

Because this is a small airport, I would recommend that you pre-book your car. The danger isn't in getting a different model than what was reserved but in possibly not getting a car at all. There are only so many rentals on the Island so it is within the realm of possibility that no cars are available on a given day.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

Great I will check out Discount. did you rent at the Airport or downtown?

Halifax
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

It should be a lot cheaper to book ahead of time than try to rent when you arrive. Or you may get stuck with a type/size of vehicle that you really don't want.

7. Re: Car Rental in Charlottetown - book ahead?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 18:17