We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Charlottetown...
5 posts
Save Topic
need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Hello,

I need some guidelines about which routs the most convenient rout to Vancouver from PEI.

Thank you

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

hi

this is a suggestion having traveled this road a few times from Halifax to Vancouver. http://goo.gl/maps/rbdFo

the first part only goes to Medicine Hat because at that point you have to decide if you want to see Calgary/Banff or not.

this is the southern route to Vancouver via highway # 3. http://goo.gl/maps/RJlCq or which avoids Calgary.

this is via Calgary and Banff. via Kamloops http://goo.gl/maps/eXiJM or this one via Kelowna. http://tinyurl.com/nbsng74

I suggest that if you are driving this route that a CAA membership is recommended - they have a program where they create triptik booklets with all the information of your route. Some pre planning of your route is required for them to create a triptik. info is available at this site. http://tinyurl.com/nbsng74

if you need specific information you are better posting in the forum for that province/city and the locals will be able to give you more specifics.

Charlottetown...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Thank you very very much I appreciate your help. As we have got a tight budget and basic CAA membership is 82$ we gave up. But you have more experience if you think we may get into trouble finding the way or its a confusing route we will think of it. We have got a GPS and ipad wi-fi in the way. Is there some "sites" along the way as well that you recommend? I can google but if you have anything special in your mind I would be grateful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

How much time do you have? How quickly do you want to get out to Vancouver?? how much touristy stuff do you want to do??

Charlottetown...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

We don't want to get to Vancouver not more than 1 week. Actually we are not seeking much touristy stuff just if there is some in the way which is worth seeing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

If I am understanding your post, you are saying you want to drive from C'town to Vancouver in 1 week? I think this is quite ambitious. What is the purpose of your trip Sarah? What are you hoping to see and do along this very long route? What time of the year are you planning to do this? Will you drive back to C'town after Vancouver?

Are you just wanting to drive constantly for 7 days? I think you would really have to do that. The distance is about 6000 km. If you drove 10 hours solid every day, you could get to Vancouver in 7 days. It's a long way to go just for a drive! :-)

I also think that the best investment you could make is to buy a CAA membership. If you had your car towed even once, it would cost you about $60 cash (at least at Vancouver's prices) so car trouble costs can add up quickly if you need to pay cash for them.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Personally I would consider a CAA membership to be a better investment than a GPS. Forget the $60 tow charge in Vancouver ... if you break down in Northern Ontario, you'll be looking at $100+ towing fees, in an area that's unlikely to have good wifi.

Follow the Trans-Canada Highway west. Decide if you want to go through cities or avoid them. Try not to drive at night and especially watch for wildlife on the roads in the evenings and early mornings. Consider seriously what others have said here, especially the very realistic drive times.

Charlottetown...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Hello Folks,

Sorry for my late reply. I got too busy in BC. I just wanted to thank you all for your helpful tips especially cbaarch for the map which we followed all through the journey. It took 10 days to get to Vancouver. we didn't drive when it got dark. We visited some national parks in the way and there were plenty of tourists information centers and attraction brochures in motels which helped us to find attractions in our way. overall It was an extremely enjoyable and amazing journey. Thanks to you guys again for your help :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Once you cross the Confederation Bridge, turn right and keep going until you hit the Pacific.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
60,323 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

Sarah ~

Thanks for letting us know how it went. It will help us advise others in future. 10 days makes sense for such a distance as it seemed to allow you to "stop and smell the roses" on the way.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,776 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need help for best driving rout from Charlottetown to Vancou

.Hopefully some sarcasm in ..... Once you cross the Confederation Bridge, turn right and keep going until you hit the Pacific......

If you turn right after the Bridge you get to Cap Pelé; every Islander knows that.......

Vancouver is on Burrard Inlet ...........it like saying going to Montreal you go until you hit the Atlantic......

Have a good day eh!

Get answers to your questions about Charlottetown