We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Hi, We are 4, 40 something adults travelling to Charlottetown for 4 days this month. Can anyone suggest a great place for seafood?

1. Diner style with big portions and 2. something nice for a evening date?

Any little hints you could provide us when traveling to Cavendish Beach? I'm sure it will be cold so we plan to pack our toques. What are the possibilities of travelling there? Do we need to rent a car or can we get a cab for a decent price?

Is there a favourite cafe, dessert house by the water?

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Hi udeservit and welcome to the PEI forums.

I'd have to say the ultimate family diner hot spot in Charlottetown would have to be Maid Marions. Decent food and lots of it at reasonable prices.For seafood, give the Water Prince Corner Shop a try.

For a blow the budget date night experience, we always enjoyed Sims Steakhouse & Oyster Bar. There's a new spot we've been meaning to try, Lot 30 Restaurant but there's lots of tried and true places like The Claddagh House and Dundee Arms Restaurant to name a couple.

This time of year, you will need your togues at Cavendish, still some cold winds coming off the water. Last weekend there were still plenty of snow drifts holding on and some ice in the water near shore. It will probably be cheaper to rent a car and travel at your own pace then to take a taxi. But you might be able to organize a private tour for a reasonable price, up to you.

As for your last question, nothing comes to mind immediately, at least nothing open this time of year. Someone else might have a suggestion.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

We were in Charlottetown last summer and had a couple of great meals at The Churchill Arms pub on the main street - nice and warm (temp & people-wise) and great food.

You should definitely rent a car - we rented from Hertz at the Charlottetown Airport.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Renting a car is much easier....no issues with traffic on the Island...

Ontario
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Thank-you for your responses, I fly out wednesday and was wondering what to do on a friday night? Any more suggestions?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Sorry monacd but that's simply not true about Maid's. It's a breakfast hot spot and somewhat busy at lunch. Standard portions. If you want big portions you should check out Hunter's or the Factory Cookhouse (same owners). They are known for huge portions and the food is actually quite good. They have live music too in the evenings if that interests you. I wouldn't recommend them for seafood, but otherwise good pub style menus at both locations (the Factory obviously being more a Western themed spot).

I'd recommend you have a look at either The Pilot House, Gahan House, or Mavor's for your supper on Friday night. All reasonably priced and probably my favourite three restaurants in Charlottetown. I've written reviews for each one if you click my name. I've been to all three in the past month and highly recommend them. Have a look at their menu's online to determine which one suits you best. They are all similar.

For seafood, Water Prince isn't a terrible suggestion but it will be expensive for sure. Very good spot, they charge a premium though as the majority of their clients are tourists. I don't know what kind of seafood you are looking for but the best fish and chips IMO would be at the Churchill Arms. They also make a mean curry (another one of my favourites and they also have big portions. One piece fish and chips is all you'd need it's that big).

I've reviewed most spots in Charlottetown so have a look through the reviews if you like. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with those I've suggested. I hope you enjoy your stay, you're arriving in lobster season which is a bonus :)

Edited: 02 May 2014, 20:10
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
456 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

Islanderonthego. Sounds like things have changed since I lived around the corner from Maid Marions where I often went for dinner when I didn't feel like cooking.

As for the Pilot House, I know many people really like it and I have no doubt they serve up a good meal but I would NOT recommend the lobster roll, most disappointing meal I've had, ever.

7. Re: My first time to Eastern Canada!! Suggestions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:16