We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Guadalajara
12 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Hello All,

I'm planning on going to Canada for my Honeymoon, I was able to book the Club Vacances Toutes Saisons (through RCI) in Beaupre, QC for one week on april 2008. I know it is near Mont Sainte Anne and Quebec City...

I was wondering if someone could give me advice on what will be the best places / activities to visit during my stay in Beaupre during that week. I'll be renting a car for my week stay.

After that I'm planning on taking a 2nd week, We'll be heading to Montreal and then to Toronto to finish up the the trip

Thanks in advanced.

Regards

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Hi Chikome

Which week do you intend to come, in April? Usually, you may still go skiing at Mont-Ste-Anne on the 2 first week of April, it is the last ski resort to operate in the province.

April is a shoulder season as touristic seasons go, so several activities are not available anymore (like: wintertime activities), or not available yet. You may tour around the nearby Orléans Island.

If you end up coming more at the end of the month, your stay might coincide with the 'sugar season', when we make syrup out of maple sap, it is interesting to go to a sugar shack then, see how it is done, taste the syrup, maple toffe on the snow, etc. It might also coincided with the snow geese migrating season; in that case, a visit to the nearby Cap Tourmente National Reserve would be a must. You may see them quite close, it is a highly impressive sight.

If you would like to venture farther, please dig some inspiration at the following Inside Page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s407/Quebec-C…

Guadalajara
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Hey thanks for the quick response. Actually I will be arriving on April 20th, it will be a week long stay on this Quebec Area.

"Sugar Season" sounds like a great and intresting event, I hope we can catch it while on our stay.

We are not a couple that enjoys skying that much, so this wouldn't be a problem. We are much more a sight seeing couple, so the links you provided <<http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s407/Quebec-City:Quebec:Day.Trips.html>> look like a good place to start planning.

Thanks for your help and if you recall any more ideas that we could enjoy please let me know :o)

Cheers!.

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
637 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

We spent the week of May 18 - 25, 2007 at Beaupre staying in a time-share condo. Even then, except for one day, it was cold! However, multitudes of snow geese were present, so I doubt you will see them in April.

If you like to hike and there is no snow, a lovely trail follows a series of waterfalls (Chutes Lean-Larose) down to the river. The trailhead is located right off the road at Mont. Ste. Anne and is on the resort's maps. Tourist sights we really enjoyed were Canyon Ste. Anne and Cap Tourmente (even without the geese there are nice trails and lots of wildlife- we saw 2 bears). We absolutely loved Haute Gorge Nat. Park, but unfortunately it doesn't open until Victoria Day in May.

Be sure to take the walking tour offerred at Quebec City's visitor center. Ours started at 11:00 and lasted 3 hours.

A final note: eat at least one meal in Auberge Baker, located in the nearby town of Chateau Richer. It is pricey, but the food delicious! (Try the duck!)

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
637 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Oops, sorry. I just noticed a typo.. It should be Chutes Jean Larose, not Lean Larose. I have a whole journal of our week I could email you if interested.

Guadalajara
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Hi carolph,

thanks for taking the time to write back about your experience in this area, I really appriciate the advice/tips.

Per my research, It seems like a lot of attractions are closed and only begin until May 1st, like Canyon Ste. Anne, which I was really looking forward too. However I think i will be taking some City and Country tours that I have seen on the Internet instead.

One question I have is, did you rent a car for your week stay in Beaupre? is it really worth it or should I be ok with Taxi rides to Quebec and near sights.

Thanks and Best Regards.

HansG.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

carolph: you have been sheer lucky to see all those geese that late in May - unusually this year, there has been kinda 2 'batches' of it: April, and a 2nd one in May. They normally pass by the region aroud the 3rd week of April, and do so in one long batch, not 2.

Chikome: I do not know if carolph rented a car or not, but if you are staying near Mont Ste-Anne and travel to Québec's Old Town back and forth everyday, it will probably cost you more in taxis than a rental car ...

Bethel Park, PA
Level Contributor
637 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

We drove our own car. I think using a taxi would be difficult and expensive. In fact, we never even saw a taxi around Mont Ste. Anne. If you don't ski, there's not much else to do there that doesn't involve driving. Check rental car agencies in whatever airport you are using. The drive up the Charlevoix coast is a nice daytrip also.

Guadalajara
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Thanks for your replies guys...

as you both stated I think renting a car will be my best option... out of curiosity do any of you know if there is any other mean of transportation from Beaupre to Quebec City?.. (bus, train,) or what is the taxi fare for this

The Trip to Charlevoix coast will surely be on my schedule during my week in Beaupre.. Thanks!!.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Chikome

I just called a taxi company for you. Mont Ste-Anne to the Old Town is $65. ONE WAY .... As I said, a car rental will be a lot cheaper! I will check out tomorrow if there is a bus service from where you'll be staying, and Qc City.

Guadalajara
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in Canada - Beaupre, QC

Eirelover,

I really can't thank you enough for all your help and for taking the time to answer and do research on my questions, I have also gotten a lot of tips from you on other posts I have found.

I think a car rental will be a Must then for this trip, plus I think it would be easier this way, in case we decide on having countryside day trips. My only concern about this is getting lost, I always have problems with directions and following maps lol, I’ll just have to ask my fiancé to step in for me at this point! She’s a much more orientated person than I am. It seems that my main road for driving to Quebec City and back to Beaupre will be “Boulevard Ste-Anne” which seems very decent from what I have read. Do you know how good of a drive this is?

Thanks Again!.