We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Hi everyone,

I finally have my dates locked in so I am trying to firm up plans for our vacation. Given the advice I have received on this site,

here is what I have put together. I know the experts here will tell me that I need moe time in each place, but considering the time I do have.. does this look like it would be good timing. and give me enough of a taste for each area. ?

Friday July 16th - Depart and drive to Montreal

Stay in Montreal for 3 nights at Loews

Would like to consider taking a ride out to view Mont Tremblant and maybe have lunch.. because we may book a ski trip in 2011 and would like to just check it out..

Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Then Monday July 19th head to Quebec City for 3 nights at Loews there...

Would like to see the waterfall they talk about that is out that way too... I still need to confirm my daily itinerairies.. do you think we could visit the waterfall on our way to malbaie?

On Thursday July 22nd- depart and head to La Malbaie-- staying at Fairmont... Want to do a whale watch.. check out the little villages etc..

Drive home on Saturday July 24th.

Would be interested in all thoughts.. and any reccomendations on what to see during our drives from city to city.. we love to explore...

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Hello Sunryz710

It was not until your last paragraph that I knew that you were coming by car but that checked I think that things will be great for you.

As for doing a day trip to Mont-Tremblant I would suggest a loop instead: Montreal /Mt-Tremblant /Montebello /Montreal or in reverse order. That will give you an opportunity to see two different approach to tourism in the Laurentians and also a drive on nice country roads (but the highway between Mtl and Tremblant is better than the old road). I would do Montebello first, have lunch around (at the Fairmont?) and then drive to Tremblant, there will be enough daylight time to see the place during the day but you could also take the gondola to the top of the mountain for sunset.

With 3 nights in Mtl and then 3 in Qc this will allow you to do this day trip but still have enough time in Montreal i.e. after your last night you still can visit around and leave later in the day or leave immediately for Qc. Same from Qc to La Malbaie and, yes you can see the Falls right off your drive. You could even add nearby Orleans island and Sainte-Anne Canyon and take the whole day to get there. Then you will have to drive next day to Tadoussac for the whale watching and fjord cruises. Finally you can take some more scenery on your drive back.

Whish you the best trip...Ever!

Oh just a little warning June 24, as you might know, is Quebec's Holiday so I would suggest that you try to stay away from both Qc and Mtl as much as you could, there will be a lot of partiers driving around. One way would be to take the ferry from Saint-Siméon to Rivière-du-Loup ( nice view on the river too) and then drive straight all the way on highway 20.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Rick.. thanks for the reply.. great suggestions that i will look at.

Quick question.. you mentioned June 24th... did you mean July 24th? or just misread my date..

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Sorry, yes I misread your dates! I was too focused on the car thing!

But the recommendation still hold since you will be right in the time of the Construction Vacations where half of our population is driving on the touristy circuits. The plus to that is that in Qc they will probably show Image Mill and Invisible Paths everynights.

Also the Loews in Qc is in Upper Town outside the city walls but very close by so I really do suggest that you park your car, at the hotel or a city parking for the whole duration of your stay until you head northeast.

4. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 19:05
5. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2010, 19:05
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Hi Sunryz710!!

I like your itinerary so far. As far as Mount Tremblant goes, personally I would say it is too much to do. However, if you really want to see it go while in you are in Montreal, rather than when you leave and head to Quebec as it will be a rather long drive.

As for driving from Montreal to Quebec City, you might want to take Route 40, the route north of the St. Lawrence. Just past the city of Trois Rivieres, there is a road which runs parallel to Route 40 called Le Chemin du Roy, The Kings Road. This road runs along the river and thru some very old and picturesque villages. For more information check out www.lecheminduroy. com

As rickb said, the falls are just outside Quebec City on your way to Malbaie. I also agree with then going over to the very beautiful island of Ile d'Orleans. It is very french pastorial and also with some nice small villages, beautiful views, and a few wineries to visit.

Le Manior Richeleau in Malbae is very nice and will help set you up for your whale watch.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Hi Sunryz710,

Welcome to the QUEBEC (La Belle Province) TRAVEL FORUM.

Your Itinerary looks great.

1- Montmorency Falls can indeed be enjoyed on the way to La Malbaie and the Charlevoix Region.

2- Mont Tremblant can most certainly be done as a day-trip out of Montreal... it is about 2 Hours there and back from downtown.

3- RICKB has suggested combining it with a visit to Montebello, also a good idea, but you'd have to be in the mood for an all-day adventure (nothing wrong with that) from downtown Montreal it will be over 1-1/2 Hours to reach Montebello... and then from there another 1 and a bit to Tremblant, and then 2 back to the city.

For more info on Montebello see these great websites:

Wikipedia - Montebello = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montebello,_Quebec

Wikipedia - Chateau Montebello = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Montebello

Fairmont Hotels - Chateau Montebello = www.fairmont.com/montebello/

Parc Omega = www.parc-omega.com

Mont Tremblant Ski Village = www.tremblant.ca

4- If you do decide to do a "circuit drive" thru this part of West Quebec (or even Eastern Ontario)... do let me know... because I can tell you a ton of ways to get off the beaten path (Expressways) and enjoy some very scenic countryside.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Thanks everyone.. this is very helpful.

Rick, what is Image Mills and Invisible Paths in QC?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

Sorry TA and everyone else for my triple posts. I was correcting something on preview and don't know what happened next.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec experts-- does this sound ok?

TO JDP112456,

lol, it happens from time to time to all of us... the TA computer-glitch I like the most is when a post goes off into cyberspace and then posts exactly one hour later to the minute... truly wierd.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2