We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

My husband and I are in our late 50s and love drop your jaw gorgeous sites/ beautiful waterfalls, scenic drives, and short hikes of no moe than three miles round trip. In researching what we might see in Quebec the above names came up. May I have suggestions of what we might enjoy in these spots? Thanks a lot and keep traveling.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

Hi Charlene51,

Welcome to the QUEBEC TRAVEL FORUM.

*TADOUSSAC – Whale Watching on the St Lawrence River

*SAGUENAY FJORD – The most accessible Fjord in North America… unique eco-climate.

*MONTEBELLO – The Quebec Foothills alongside the mighty Ottawa River (which brought the Voyageurs and Explorers North to discover and map the waterways that flowed to the Hudson Bay). Montebello is home to both the Chateau Montebello… the world’s largest wooden structure… originally a private hunting lodge, it is now home to a Fairmont Chateau Resort a 5-Star Hotel. Montebello also has Parc-Omega a wildlife park where you can see large Canadian mammals such as Bear – Bison – Moose – Elk – Caribou – Deer – Cougar – Lynx – Bobcat – Wolves – Coyotes – Fox.

*GATINEU PARK – A large tract of parkland just outside of Ottawa – Canada’s Capital City that is maintained by the federal government’s National Capital Commission… the best example in Canada of where the Canadian Shield meets the prehistoric Champlain Sea (there was once a sea that covered all the land mass inland from Quebec City to the Great Lakes… the shoreline of this sea is what today is known as the Laurentian Mountains in Quebec – the Adirondack Mountains of NY State – the Green Mountains of Vermont – and the White Mountains of New Hampshire). All that remains today of this sea is Lake Champlain, and the two large rivers by which the sea drained to the Atlantic Ocean – the Ottawa and the St Lawrence. The Park has several lookouts where one can truly see the transition between Canadian Shield topography and the flat plain of the sea bed… along with an interesting eco-system (Pink Lake). The Gatineau Park is known for its proximity to the City of Ottawa (15 Minutes) and the availability of Camping – Lakes for Swimming – Hiking – Biking – Cross Country Ski Trails – and Camp Fortune Ski Hill in the wintertime.

For more info on these areas I suggest that you take a look at the following websites:

Quebec Tourism = www.bonjourquebec.com

Wikipedia – Tadoussac = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadoussac,_Quebec

Wikipedia – Saguenay River = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguenay_River

Wikipedia – Saguenay St Lawrence Marine Park = …wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguenay%E2%80%93St._Law…

Parks Canada – Saguenay St Lawrence Marine Park = pc.gc.ca/eng/amnc-nmca/qc/saguenay/index.aspx

Wikipedia – Montebello = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montebello,_Quebec

Wikipedia – Chateau Montebello = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teau_Montebello

Fairmont Hotels – Chateau Montebello = www.fairmont.com/montebello

Wikipedia – Parc Omega = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parc_Omega

Parc-Omega = www.parc-omega.com/en/

Wikipedia – Gatineau Park = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatineau_Park

NCC – Gatineau Park = canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/…

Happy reading… : ) *smile*

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

Please advise where you stayed

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

OH MY GOODNES, WINE-4-2 You have done so much work for me. Thank-you! Thank-you! :-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

Hi Charlene51,

You are very welcome... need more info just ask... especially if when building an Itinerary you end up like most people, and discover there is a whole lot of Canada to see and too little time... I can help you sort priorities.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

=== === ===

TO NATURE17,

Please note the Traveller is in the Planning Stage... they haven't travelled as of yet.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
7 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

There is many places in the Gatineau Park for nice walks and hikes. My favourite places are the Pink lake trail( if you come during the fall, the colour of the lake is amazing) the Champlain lookout trail and the Mont King (this one is a little bit more difficult, but the view at the top is great.)

Good luck

6. Re: Tadoussec/Saguenay Fjord/Montebello/ Gatineau Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:15