We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

I am entertaining the possibility of traveling to Schefferville next summer. I know this is a rather esoteric travel destination, but I've wanted to go for the past 10 yrs but never have gotten around to it.

Could someone advise me when during the summer is the best time to travel there? Early July would be my 1st choice since its probably the best combo with long hours of daylight and warm temps.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, are the mosquitos and flies as bad up there as people say? If so what time during the summer is best to avoid at least the worst of them?

Additionally, I am a big outdoors person and am looking for suggestions on anything to do up there. I'm pretty open to anything out in the wilderness there.

Traveling to and from there is not an issue for me since I have my private pilots license (can't wait to take tons of pics from the air!) and can set my own schedule--not to mention it'll be a lot faster to fly myself (even in a small and relatively slow single engine plane from Connecticut) than to drive and catch the train or even fly commercially when you factor in layovers and indirect legs.

Even since flying over far northern Quebec on a UAL flight from Paris to Wash DC in 2002 I've wanted to explore one of the few wild places left that no one on the street has heard of!!

Thanks guys for the help.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 22:58
Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,419 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

Can't specifically say about Shefferville, but when they talk about mosquitoes being bad...you can count on it. Part of it depends on how wet the summer is as well. Seems the further north you go, the worse they are . I guess the short summer season sets their little biological clock on overdrive, and they only want to do one thing...find blood so they can reproduce.

Get the strongest repellent you can buy, with lots of DEET.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

In a bad year, you will almost need a Blood transfusion of you don't have deet. Just slightly exaggerating.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

hi

i worked in Schefferville in the summer a long time ago doing some surveying, working for the mining Co. the town used to revolved around the mine; which was open pit mining so pretty desolate landscaping. the permanent residents did not like the summers and preferred when the snow was on the ground for outdoor activities.

We basically made sure we never had any exposed flesh and, every time we ventured outside the truck we spray our hard hat and clothes around our face with DEET. one of the guys had a safari type hat with the netting.

the black flies were nastier since they bite.

when we got stabbed by a mosquito we would try not to swat it and let the little sucker fill up and wait until the stinger was pulled out. that way the itchy stuff would get sucked out.

the storey that was told to scare us; being 20 yrs old at the time; was that one guy had gone fishing and his shirt had become undone and was so badly bitten by black flies that he died before getting back to town.

I did manage to stay up until 5 am on one occasion. It never got dark.

and the aurora borealis was stunning

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_%28astronomy%29

As for flying up there you did not mention if you have a float plane;

if you do not have a float plane then flying in to Sept Iles Que and taking the train to Schefferville could be an option as there are few runways available between Sept Iles and Schefferville.

http://www.tshiuetin.net/an_informations.html

google fishing guides schefferville quebec

found this one that may provide direction of where to get info

www.caribou-canada.com/page_en_7etapes.php

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Sept Iles
Sept Iles
Quebec, Canada
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

I really hope you are a guy and have not intention to bring your g/f or wife.

Glastonbury...
Level Contributor
1,466 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

Thanks very much for the info! I've heard that the bugs up there (subarctic in general) are wayyy worse to have to deal with than the extreme cold is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I'm thinging that April might be the best time to go since its still snowcovered and cold, but not unpleasantly so, and the bugs still haven't come out---similar to Connecticut in January. Also I'll still have almost as much daylight as August. Additionally, the lakes still being frozen over would make good spots in the (very unlikely) event i had to make an emergency off-airport landing--much better than landing in a bog in the summer!!

I'll be flying a regular plane, not a seaplane. I have a range of about 600 miles so I think I'll fly Hartford-Bagotville-Schefferville. I can comfortably fly the 2nd leg into Schefferville with a 2 hr fuel reserve and if that isn't enough, Labrador City (Wabush) is a convenient alternate airport.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 01:21
Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Hartford
Hartford
Connecticut
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

Hi PapaFox (BTW, Cute User Name)

Welcome to the QUEBEC (La-Belle-Province) TRAVEL FORUM

Great info here by my colleagues... let me add some more.

YES Bugs are a HUGE problem in late Spring and on into Summer...

Lol, you may find yourself sharing a runway with them... as the Northerners like to make jokes about how BIG they really are... and that they need flight clearance to land

Jokes aside... here are some serious considerations...

Once you are into rural Quebec... and away from the shoreline of the St Lawrence River (and the core area of Montreal to Quebec City) then being able to speak French becomes a MAJOR Consideration !!

Examples…

Schefferville and Stats Canada says that French is the first language of about 44% of the population (the balance is made up by Natives and a small English population)

Sept Iles and Stats Canada say 93% of the Population’s first language is French

If this is a concern to you… (coming from the USA... I am not sure how much French you have... and hence I am pointing this out).. and if you think that you might not be able to communicate well… then you indeed might want to take a look at Labrador City as an option which has a similar topography & remoteness… and where language isn’t going to be an issue (English 96%)

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Sept Iles
Sept Iles
Quebec, Canada
United States
United States
North America
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,830 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

You do realize that Schefferville has a population of about 200? It was around 5,000 but Brian Mulroney (later a Prime Minister) shut down the mine 1982 turning it into a virtual ghost town... perhaps you need to look around at a different location where there might be something to do or to see...

Edited: 22 November 2011, 22:57
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

... like the Mingan archipelargo perhaps? Very remote and not many tourists outside the hunting period

http://tinyurl.com/c7vhlv9

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
17,993 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

hi

instead of baggotville i would look at sept-iles

sept-iles used to be the south terminal of the rail route during the mining days and has a decent airport and could be a layover before the last leg.

there still is a train that goes up to Schefferville so if you are looking for a route with a bailout plan following the rail line or the schedule flights routes could be an option.

cheers

cb

10. Re: Traveling to Schefferville (far northern Quebec)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:21