We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Hi trippers,

Planning a winter Canadian vacation and was just wondering what would be the best route to see the east side of Canada.

Thinking of catching a plane from NY to Quebec City and doing (3-4 days) in Quebec. Then heading down to Montreal (3 days) and then onto Niagara Falls (1 day) and onto Toronto for (2 days) then flying to west coast. We don't really want to going round in circles would like to go one way and then fly to western side.

Ok here are the questions:

1. Is it cheaper to travel between eastern Canadain cities via train or plane?

2. What airline companies service the eastern cities?

3. How long and what cost would the rail trips between (Quebec & Montreal) & (Montreal & Niagara Falls) be?

4. What is Xmas time like in Quebec City?

5. Would we have allowed time to see enough things considering we thinking of travelling at Winter?

Anyhelp from experienced trippers is greatly welcomed....

jezkim1

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,462 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Hi jezkim;

1) That will depend on your dates. From before Christmas to after New Years, all modes of public transportation (bus, train, plane) are extremely busy, and the prices reflect that limited availability.

2) In alphabetical order - Air Canada, Porter, WestJet

3) www.VIARail.ca

4) N/A

5) IMHO, Quebec City should be a 3-5 day stay, Montreal 2-3 days. You could spend an entire week in Toronto Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in Canada & the US after New York, Los Angeles & Chicago, and still have plenty to see and do !

Best Regards

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

re: # 4: I invite you to have a look at the "Trip Reports" entry, under the 'Top Questions' section appearing at the right hand side of the screen - there is 1 covering precisely a Christmas stay by one of our Destination Experts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155033-i134-Quebe…

I agree with your planning re: number of days in each city. Although if you are looking forward to have a white Christmas, you are the most likely to find it in Québec City (statistically: 95% of time) and therefore, suggest you lean towards 4 to 5 days in the city. Toronto and Niagara will be snowless, as will probably be Montreal too.

EDIT: you might be interested by the links I suggested in my post (#10) on this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k4903…

Edited: 09 April 2012, 23:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Thanks Eirelover & Rescue Team for the heads up...I will check out those links you suggested.

That really suprises me about Toronto & Montreal with the snow....I really thought most of Canada would be covered white around Xmas time.

So venturing to say that driving around some of these places might be an option for us???

We do come from land down under and do not know such a thing as driving on ice or snow, so that leaves me a little apprehensive to drive around when there is a good system of public transport.

So would you suggest staying in the upper or lower part of Quebec???

Any other hints or tips for Quebec & Montreal???

Thanks

jezkim1

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,462 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

You're Welcome !

Without considerable winter driving experience I would NOT suggest starting in an unfamiliar rental car, in an unfamiliar area. Driving in the winter takes genuine experience. While there may or may not be snow on the ground, there are other hazzards to winter driving, such as "black ice".

I would suggest reading the Traveler Article "Winter Driving in Canada", here on TA.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-c55003/Canada…

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Jeskim,

Just so you don't arrive with the wrong expectations about how warm it may be here in December, I think you should understand that Irelover was exaggerating a bit to make his/her point.

With global warming White Christmases are becoming increasingly rarer in Central Canada (NB: "Eastern Canada" is actually the two time-zones to the east). Of those cities you mentioned, being in Quebec City on December 25th does indeed give you the best chance of having a White Christmas -- at 95% probability. Statistically, Montreal has a 70% probability of a White Christmas, Ottawa (which I think you should add into your itinerary) has an 80% probability and Toronto, in Canada's "banana belt" has, statistically, a 45% probability of a White Christmas. The city of Iqaluit, where I am proud to say I once lived, has a 100% chance!

If I may suggest, if you can time your visit to Central Canada with the Winterlude Festival in Ottawa and/or the Quebec Winter Carnival in Quebec City you will really experience some of the joys of a Canadian winter.

www.canadascapital.gc.ca/celebrate/winterlude

http://www.carnaval.qc.ca/en

Edited: 10 April 2012, 16:53
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Hi Godott,

Another person with some interesting insights into Candain weather.....I like the banana belt reference.....all these tips are very much appreciatted.

I looked at the Winterlude & Winter Carnival and they look unreal to expereince, but unfortunately we need to be back in the land of Oz by the end of January...so may have to catch them on the next trip across the great ditch!!!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

jezkim

In case your travel dates are somewhat flexible: around January 8 or 9, the Ice Hotel opens its door, might be interesting to visit for a visitor from a snowless country. Also, at the same date, the ice slide just next to Château Frontenac starts to operate, lots of fun. The Christmas lights & decorations will still be there.

www.hoteldeglace-canada.com/images.php…

http://www.pbase.com/zobroc/image/54290482

http://tinyurl.com/7m82tca

http://tinyurl.com/6ljwmtp

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

Just a few thoughts:

Flying to Québec City might be much more expensive than flying to Montréal.

If you look at a map you will see that Québec City will be at one end of your intended trip and Niagara Falls at the other. Alas the scenery is zilch in that whole corridor, all located in the Plain of Saint-Lawrence. The scenery starts to be nice just around Québec City or about 45 minutes out of Mtl.

So you might think of going a bit northeast of Qc, in the Charlevoix area that is beautiful and has as much chance, if not more than Qc to have a snow blanket.. A private scenic train (Train de Charlevoix) would be nice then with an overnight in La Malbaie but might come expensive.

Definetely take the train for Qc to Mtl and then from Mtl to TO and, while in TO, take a day bus tour to Niagara Falls. One day is enough for that, particularly in winter. The sooner you make your train reservations, the better the price.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 01:34
9. Re: NY to Quebec - Montreal - Niagara Falls - Toronto in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 12:16