We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

We'll be traveling in Quebec in mid-July. We're traveling as a family, with our two kids, and we prefer budget accommodation that can take the four of us in a room. When traveling in the US we can almost always find a motel with large rooms and a reasonable price, so we try to keep things flexible and just find a place for the night wherever we are on the end of the day. Is Quebec in July that flexible? Can we expect to just arrive at, say Perce, or any other town between there and Quebec City and find affordable rooms? Or should I build a more strict schedule and make reservations in advance?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

Depending on the weekend, if a major event is going on, then reservations would definitely be advisable....

Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

What about regular week days? I guess I'll have to check about festivals...

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,260 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

If you do not make reservations during July and August, be willing to stretch your budget or lower your expectations or waste time going around.....

I would reserve.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 20:29
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

DO make reservations, sometimes the city is completely sold out and then you will pay high prices for rooms that you will find very ordinary.

Beyond Quebec City you will find hotels few and far between and you will simply not find the range of choices you are used to in the US.

You can make multiple bookings and then cancel what you do not need or use.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

It will be compuslory to book in advance if you want to visit during our Construction Holiday Weeks when half of the Province working forces + their families are visiting around and the tour of the Gaspé Peninsula is THE prefferredittinerary.

This following years they will take place from July 21 to August the third and I would not trust Jusly the 20 th neither.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

Mid-July is High season - DO make reservations for Québec City, and Percé. In between, as bogwoppit said, you will always be able to 'wing it' albeit with more limited choice at times.

When in Québec City, the Tourist Office near Château Frontenac will provide you with free booklets, containing useful tourist infos and a comprehensive list of lodging options on your route. Each tourist region has its own (free) guide, available in both French and English. The tourist regions you will be going through, east of Québec City on the south shore of the river are the following: Chaudière-Appalaches, Bas-St-Laurent and Gaspésie.

This website will be a good source of infos while preparing your trip: www.bonjourquebec.com/uk-en/decouvrez0.html

Edited: 04 May 2013, 00:46
Israel
Level Contributor
415 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

Thank you so much everyone! Our visit will extend into late July. I see now that I had better make reservations for the entire trip. This has been very helpful - thank you!

8. Re: Quebec in July - Do I need to make reservations in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 06:17